PDA

View Full Version : "fat" green tiger barb?

invadertoast
05-23-2009, 03:40 AM
I noticed tonight that my last remaining green tiger barb has a really strangely shaped stomach, it wasn't like this yesterday. I had 6 green tigers and 5 striped in my 20 long but I recently lost all but one of the greens to some sort of mystery happening (mini-cycle or infection, don't know, treated with Melafix) I added a platinum green tiger to the mix a few weeks ago. The green tiger is just strange looking, from the front it almost looks completely flat/deflated - any ideas?? Amm 0 'trIes 0 and trAtes ~10

Oh, and the weird looking fish in one of these pics besides the green barb is my platinum green behind one of the normal tigers, looks like his face got photoshopped on or something! And please ignore my concrete wall background, my posterboard fell down the other day.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, they get NLS pellets and sometimes flakes in the morning and at night (not an excessive amount, just a little at each feeding)

OscarFan
05-25-2009, 04:20 AM
It might be bloated or constipated I dont normaly reccomend this but feed some peas and see if that helps. Also feed some garlic if those dont help I would say its septicemia. Are the scales sticking out?

invadertoast
05-25-2009, 04:47 AM
Hmm... scales aren't sticking out, and from a head-on view the fish looks completely (abnormally) pancake flat. It's eating/acting normally, I don't think it's constipated. Could it be emaciated but just look fat due to the shape of an empty abdomen?

Gayle
05-25-2009, 04:54 AM
Ok I am confused here, FAT and FLAT?

invadertoast
05-25-2009, 05:01 AM
Sorry, i couldn't think of how to word it better! When I first noticed the difference in body shape compared to my other barbs, I thought it was bloated. But when it turns to face towards/away from me the stomach is totally flat looking. I'm thinking the fish is way underweight and just appears "fat" because of the weird body shape.

Gayle
05-25-2009, 05:23 AM
I would QT the fish and give a broad spec antibiotic.

OscarFan
05-25-2009, 05:36 AM
I would QT the fish and give a broad spec antibiotic.
I wouldnt treat with anything until we know what it is. I think it is parasites, If it is eating normal and looks skinny thats all I can think of.