PDA

View Full Version : Molt or Dead shrimp?

DrNic
05-23-2009, 01:54 AM
I was just looking around my tank and saw what appeared to be a opaque white shrimp. I couldn't tell if it was a dead shrimp or a molt from one of the cherry shrimp. Is there any way to tell the difference?

Also, as the population increases and more shrimp molt, do I need to take special care to remove the molts or will they just decompose (or get eaten) naturally?

PUNISHER VETTE
05-23-2009, 02:02 AM
most likely a molt.

I've got a ton of shrimp in my tank and hardly see the molts so i wouldn't worry too much about them. They'll probably degrade quickly or are eaten by something.

Red
05-23-2009, 02:41 AM
I say molt too!

Lilium
05-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Molts are usually eaten by a shrimp to replenish nutrients (so I've heard).

From what I can think of, a molt will be clearish, and will appear empty, since it is just a shell. A dead shrimp will probably turn white, and if you look at it, will not have the empty look, and not fall apart as easily. You could probably see some of the flesh in a dead shrimp.

korith
05-23-2009, 04:42 AM
Molting is a good sign your tank conditions are right. Leave the molts in the tank, they are a good source of nutrients and I believe calcium as well, the rest of the shrimp will feed off of it. When they have molted that's when they are more at risk, so tend to hide out more. Also this is when they are getting jiggy with it. If you see them any of the molted ones swimming in the current they are dispersing pheromones and such to attract a mate.

Oh if you've ever managed to see one of them molt it's pretty cool and _very_ quick. They sort of look like they are stretching, sort of like how a cat stretches, and then less than a few seconds later they have molted.