PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Blushing Tiger in distress

FishPrincess
05-13-2009, 03:49 AM
This is something that I have not experienced before. I have 6 blushing, 3 green, and 2 (can't remember the name -the reddish ones) barbs along with silver dollars and yellow labs in a 120Gal tank.

One of the blushing tigers is obviously struggling. Swimming upside down, abdomen very distended like he is gassy. They were all fine before I fed them this evening just a couple of hours ago.

Did he just make a pig of himself at feeding time? I didn't feed them anything I haven't fed before.

Is he a goner? Should I end it for him? or will he follow suit with my husband and fart and be all better?

HELP?!?!

Sir Tristen
05-13-2009, 03:56 AM
Is he a goner? Should I end it for him? or will he follow suit with my husband and fart and be all better?
HELP?!?!

Sorry, I don't know the answer to this one, but I thought this comment was hilarious!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Wild Turkey
05-13-2009, 04:04 AM
Sounds like possibly bloat, from eating a bit too much or something to that effect yes. You can try feeding skinned peas if he is not okay in the morning, but usually if its bloat from over feeding once, not feeding the wrong foods overtime or anything, he should be okay in a few hours. Otherwise it may be something more serious

Northernguy
05-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Peas are great for your fish!They keep them regular and help with any constipation!lol

Gayle
05-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Well its not going to fart and be ok. LOL Are there any other symptoms? Test the water please just in case the fish is not ok tommorow. There are quite a few things that can cause both problems.

Northernguy
05-13-2009, 04:15 AM
Well its not going to fart and be ok. LOL Are there any other symptoms? Test the water please just in case the fish is not ok tommorow. There are quite a few things that can cause both problems.
:hmm3grin2orange: thumbs2:
If the peas don't work by tomorrow than yes it may be a more serious problem like bloat.

FishPrincess
05-13-2009, 04:28 AM
:hmm3grin2orange: thumbs2:
If the peas don't work by tomorrow than yes it may be a more serious problem like bloat.

Well, since he is upside down, I don't think he will accept food at this time. Even if he is hungry, something tells me that the other occupants of the tank will get to the peas before he does.

If he is still with us tomorrow, I will have to try them. Will thawing out frozen peas work? or do they have to be fresh?

Do illnesses like bloat really come on that fast? Luckily, I have never had to deal with anything other than a mild case of ich.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wild Turkey
05-13-2009, 04:30 AM
Often if i give a little too much flake to my smaller fish they will have a little trouble swimming down or staying down, having trouble righting themselves is less common.

Worst case scenario its a swim batter problem. Best case scenario ( and most likely if this started after a feeding) he be will okay in a few hours.

Edit grmr

OscarFan
05-13-2009, 04:36 AM
Tiger Barbs are notorius Pigs. They will often eat themselves to the point of losing control of their swimbladder. I wouldnt worry until tomorrow.

FishPrincess
05-13-2009, 04:43 AM
I am glad to hear that. I tested the water just to make sure. All appears to be good.

0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
7.4 PH (same as always)
10-15 ppm nitrate

He is hiding - still completely upside down - behind the filter outlet. Hopefully the other fish will leave him alone tonight. At least he is on the top of the tank and out of range of the catfish!

Thanks all. :ssmile:

Gayle
05-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Good news on the water!!!!!!!! I am sure it will be fine! Just keep us posted!

BTW Peas need to be cooked and then the outer shell removed.

FishPrincess
05-13-2009, 12:07 PM
GOOD NEWS!

He is still swimming a little funny it seems, but is upright and swimming all over the tank. I will have to buy peas on my way home from work tonight. Maybe that will get him all better.

Thanks!:19:

Gayle
05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Good to hear!!!

Wild Turkey
05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
GOOD NEWS!

He is still swimming a little funny it seems, but is upright and swimming all over the tank. I will have to buy peas on my way home from work tonight. Maybe that will get him all better.

Thanks!:19:
'Excellent!

I have a feeling by the time you return from work he will be back to normal