PDA

View Full Version : What killed my Bristlenose?

nfras
03-01-2007, 10:13 AM
This is the second ancistrus I've lost in as many weeks. The first one was trapped in the filter so I assumed it just got trapped and died, but this one was sitting at the front of the tank. What do you think, disease or attack from another fish?

kimmers318
03-01-2007, 12:40 PM
That poor pleco looks horrible, did it look like that before death or is that from other fish and the natural decaying process? His fins don't look healthy, gaps and such, he looks a tad skinny, and the tail looks chewed. If these guys are looking like this when you get them I would suggest staying away from purchase, if not, you need to figure out what is doing this to them. Plecos are some of the hardiest of fish, and they most certainly can withstand quite a bit of neglect and crap from other fish, but it takes time and patience to bring one back from damage. But it can be done......
This is what my L.pardalis looked like when it was brought to me to "please save it before I kill it"
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/cories%20and%20plecos/pleco1.jpg
Barely any flesh on the poor thing, had been living on flake, never had food for her.
Here she is several months later happily munching her zucchini
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h216/kimmers318/cories%20and%20plecos/bb-1.jpg

Good luck with future plecos, they are great to have as long as you get a healthy specimen and have room to house them. Of course the bristlies stay smaller making them the perfect choice for smaller aquariums

Severus
03-01-2007, 01:45 PM
What are your water parameters? What did you feed him? How often? I dont think your other fish would have attacked him.

nfras
03-01-2007, 11:35 PM
Water parameters are:
ph 6.4
ammonia trace
nitrates trace

He was feeding mostly off the algae in the tank with some supplemental algae tablets.
He looked fine until I came home yesterday. The poor skin condition is either predation or disease, not sure which. But before yesterday there was no sign of disease, maybe just a bit sluggish, but he's a catfish so it's fairly normal.

Lady Hobbs
03-01-2007, 11:59 PM
WOW. What a difference good care makes. He looks very happy now.

Lady Hobbs
03-02-2007, 12:01 AM
I urge you to do what the others have. You should have 0 ammonia and if you do have ammonia, you probably have nitrites as well. Are you doing good water changes weekly? I drop algae waffers in for my catfish prior to turned off the lights at night. The other fish may not be leaving anything for him to eat. It's hard for these guys to live in a new tank. There is nothing for them to eat in there as no algae has grown yet.

Severus
03-02-2007, 03:43 AM
My pleco will only eat algea tablets in the dark. Have you made sure he gets enough food?

dishmando
03-02-2007, 03:55 AM
I hate to jump in on a negative thread, but ive lost 2 rhino plecos in less than a week. I thought the first was just a bad fish from my lfs, so i checked water parameters, AMM 0, ITES 0, ATES 10, pH 7.4
Definitely no reason for death, so we bought a 2nd, and 2 days later, there he was, lying on the bottom.
Not to threadjack, but i think we're having the same issue!! hehehe

Im gonna take a h20 sample to my lfs and see what they say. I suggest you do the same. The may have something different to tell you/me.
Im seeing a slow outbreak of brown algae in my tank which is very depressing to see. You think you're taking care of your fish, meanwhile you're giving them a slow death.....
Anyhow, once again, sorry for the slight threadjack. Im interested on your outcome, as i'll keep you informed on mine.

cheers:thumb:

nfras
03-02-2007, 04:34 AM
I've had an outbreak of green fuzz algae, not the long stuff, just 2-3mm on plant leaves.
Apart from that, I've got no ammonia and no nitrates. It's a heavily planted tank so all nitrogen levels are very low.

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 03:29 AM
This is the second ancistrus I've lost in as many weeks. The first one was trapped in the filter so I assumed it just got trapped and died, but this one was sitting at the front of the tank. What do you think, disease or attack from another fish?

WOW, thats a banged up lil guy. may be fin nipping or fin rot

newt0524
03-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Hey

have to agree, his fins look terrible. did they look like this before he died? if so, do not buy them if they have fins like that and are super skinny.

In addition, if they look like this when you get them, you should report it to your city's buisness and health boards, they will take care of that lfs. It may sound stupid, but we had an lfs shut down for lack of licensing and poor treatment of its "product".

Just a note, you shouldn't feed a pleco strictly on the algae on the glass. For most, this will not be enough. Algae wafers are better, but better still is zuchini as kimmers was saying. It's dirt cheap, simple to prepare and will promote the health of your plecos.

WHat else is in the tank with him? Outside of plecos, any other deaths? If not, there is a good chance it is the food they are getting or the lack there of.

hope this helps a little and im serious about the lfs situation, fair treatment of animals is our responsibility as we are the ones keeping the lfs in buisness.

newt

nfras
03-04-2007, 11:48 PM
He was healthy when I bought him (about 2-3 months ago) and he seemed to be doing fine until he died. The day before he died there was no visible sign of any illness and his fins were fine.

cocoa_pleco
03-05-2007, 12:35 AM
was his belly really red?

nfras
03-05-2007, 10:16 PM
was his belly really red?
no. Not red at all

cocoa_pleco
03-06-2007, 12:14 AM
wasnt hemorrhagic septicemia then