PDA

View Full Version : I've got snails! What loaches should I get?

Whitney
03-01-2007, 02:50 AM
Hi all,

I have a 30 gallon aquarium that currently houses

2 German Blue Rams
6 Espei Rasboras
3 Diamond Tetras
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Bamboo Shrimp
and a bunch of cherry shrimp

Last night I had to check something in my tank after the light had been out for a little while, and discovered a couple of little brown snails on my plants. I removed them....

Tonight, I looked in and noticed at least another four. To get an idea of the extent of the population, I set a film cannister trap some green pepper and algae wafers inside.....I'll check in the morning to see how many I collect.

In the meantime, I am researching loaches for long term population control. My dilemma is that I'd get a zebra loach (botia striata), but the things I've read indicate that they need to be kept in groups or 4 or more- and at 4 inches each- I think that's too much for my little 30 gallon tank.

I also really like Chain Loaches (Sidthimunki), and they're small enough that I can definitely get a shoal of 5 or 6- but I'm concerned that they are too small to effectively control the snail population.

What does everyone think? Is there another fish I'm overlooking? Can I keep just one zebra loach? Will the Sids do the job?

Thanks!

Severus
03-01-2007, 03:14 AM
Clown Loaches work wonders. The only problem is they do best in groups and have the potential to reach 1'. They are amazing though. I know there might be a few other species that eat snails, i have only had experience with the clown loaches though

Whitney
03-01-2007, 03:30 AM
I love clown loaches....but I have a 30 gallon tank....I'm concerned that that little zebra loaches will be too big....clowns are really out of the question....

I am, however, currently planning out a 200 gallon tank...and clowns will definitely be a featured addition to it.

zenryoku
03-01-2007, 04:48 AM
I heard that weather loaches love to eat snails. And they are really neat. I just got one the other week and I think he is the greatest.

They get up to 8 inches or so in an aquarium, but are really hardy fish.

kimmers318
03-01-2007, 01:21 PM
If you look at long term snail control with a loach, you eventually will run out of snails, and then have to feed the loach. I have also heard striata are great for snails, nice smallish size, but, again, once you get rid of the snails they will no longer have that yummy food.
Snails can't breed if you are not overfeeding your fish. I would suggest you use the bait method to catch as many as you can daily until you don't see snails and cut back on your feeding to keep them in check.

Abbeys_Mom
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Yo Yo Loaches work well too. But they prefer schools. They also will only take care of the smallest of the snails. They mainly eat the eggs.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-almorhae
One would be ok, but I would be concerned about your shrimp.

xoolooxunny
03-16-2007, 05:03 PM
sorry to revive this old thread, but i didnt see the point in making a new one. Will clown loaches eat my shrimp if i get a couple for my snails??

hungryhound
03-19-2007, 01:21 AM
sorry to revive this old thread, but i didnt see the point in making a new one. Will clown loaches eat my shrimp if i get a couple for my snails??

i have been wondering this myself as I wouldn't mind adding a few shrimp to my tank with a bunch of yoyo's.

I did a google search and all I could find were excerpts from old message boards. From everything that i read the loaches should leave them alone. But I wouldn't take my word for it.

I am still pretty hesitant about trying to put shrimp in with loaches.

hungryhound
03-19-2007, 01:27 AM
I was hesitant about posting a link from another message board, but cannot find it against the rules.

Here is a thread from loaches.com that discuses it. http://aquaweb.pair.com/forums/archives/loach6/index.cgi?read=88519

still scares me, but i will just have to get one or two and see.

Lady Hobbs
03-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Posting links is fine as it directs you back to where you got the information. Copying and pasting their information and taking the credit for writing it is another thing.

xoolooxunny
03-19-2007, 07:55 PM
ok, maybe ill start breeding ghost shrimp just in case! my lfs doesnt always have them in