PDA

View Full Version : 1 female of 10 TB's remains without pelvic fins, normal?

CWO4GUNNER
04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
About a month a ago I had to remove a large female TB to the QT who suddenly had her pelvic fins bit off with no other damage. After 5 days of healing she was returned and has been submissive ever since displaying her belly but no longer bitten. However her pelvic fins although completely healed remain trimmed nubs. I though this was strange as there is one other very large female with full pelvic fins that is never bothered and never submissively displays her belly. Anyone ever seen a barb that was required to display submissive belly and permanently required to have no pelvic fins in order to be accepted?

jaysee
04-29-2009, 06:37 PM
One of mine appears to be the red headed step child of the group - there is a definate pecking order.

Maybe she lost a bet

CWO4GUNNER
04-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Just strange her pelvic fins have completely healed but haven't grown. I also have one male that seems to maintains one lobe of his caudal fin permanently trimmed off, which never seems to grow or shorten and shows no signs of rot. These two of the 10 seem to be required to take some snubbing by the group but otherwise are allowed to participate. Now that they have all gotten bigger in my 60 community tank I am making plans to remove my molly's and platy's especially since they are big waste producers. Eventually my 60 will be a species tank for my Barbs with the exception of the few cory's and Otto's of course.

CWO4GUNNER
04-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Well good news I just dropped them off at my mom & pop LFS for no store credit as I felt the need to depart with them much more then to get payment. They noted that they were all in perfect health and placed them in their own tank right away, a little odd but then I learned not to question an expert's methodology. Anyway I freed myself of a significant bio load which included a 4" Pleco (cow), four 2.5" molly's (2 pregnant), two 2" Platy's and two large fry. Most importantly no more surprise births to deal with. This makes the Barbs a little less crowded and a little less stressed.

Little Embers
04-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Perhaps the male just has a deformity of his fin. If the females fin was severely damaged, it may not grow back to what it was before. I had a head/tail light tetra who obviously had mouth fungus at one time, I only fully noticed he had a problem with his mouth (half his mouth was gone) once I got him home and it did grow back eventually, but not completely.

OscarFan
04-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Tiger Barbs have a strict and intense pecking order. The bigger female is most likely higher up on the chain which is why she seems untouched. Also fins don't always grow all the way back all the time.

CWO4GUNNER
04-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I may not be a very sympathetic pet owner as I spent allot of time as a child on my grandfather ranch and was taught to respect and care for but not to get attached to animals. So I try to keep very clean and healthy tanks. So Its a little frustrating when you have great water numbers and one or two fish still get a case of fin rot. But since Iv stepped up the use of my UV sterilizer to 12 hours a day vice 2 times a week, Iv noticed it halted the spread in my two angels (125 tank). The Barbs never ever seem to get any disease unless aggravated by bite injury. Angels are far more delicate.