PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Shrimp Question

twoshihpoos
04-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Hello everyone :)

I have a 10 gallon tank and am wondering how many cherry shrimp I can add to it?

Thanks!

Wild Turkey
04-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Hello everyone :)

I have a 10 gallon tank and am wondering how many cherry shrimp I can add to it?

Thanks!

Hundreds. If no fish, upwards of 500, maybe even 1 thousand. The have almost no bio-load. Start with at least 10-20 since they are a group invert, if they feel safe, they will turn into hundreds in a few months.

twoshihpoos
04-15-2009, 01:15 PM
WOW!!!

That's incredible! Hubby wanted 20 but I thought was excessive, he'll be happy to know I was wrong :hmm3grin2orange:

Thank you very much!

Eileen
04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I have Red cherry shrimp. I started with 8. They were in a tiny 2 1/2 gal tank. They had babies and I put pairs into my other 5 & 6 gal. tanks also. I rehomed some of them on Craigslist pairs with 1 baby. I had not problem finding homes for them.

Remember to cover your intake to your filter so that the babies do not get sucked up. Do this before the shrimp has babies. You can use pantyhose or fine netting like a in a fish net and use rubber band or tie wraps to secure it.

I have endlers in the tank with the red cherry shrimp. You can get away with having endlers as they stay small and get along with the shrimp. I would just get all males for your ten gallon tank.You don't want excess babies. I got the black bar endlers. They are really pretty with their neon colors . You could get away with 10 of these in your 10 gal. tank and they are mid level fish while the cherry shrimp like hanging around on the bottom and floating plants. check out this page for endlers:
http://www.swampriveraquatics.com

Red cherry shrimp get along with Cyrstal red or blk shrimp and will not interbreed. I'm thinking of getting Cyrstal black shrimp soon to keep in their own tank with my Tiger/Hybrid endlers. They look like little zebra shrimp. Watch you Nitrite/Ammonia levels and copper as they are very sensitive to bad water quality. Do 25% water changes a week and check water weekly. I use this stuff called cycle once a week in all my tanks. You can use this stuff called EasyBalance by Tetra once a week also to maintain good water quality. 1 tsp. to 5 gal. weekly. I'm not sure if your ghost shrimp will bother the red cherry shrimps. The Haraqen Rasboras might eat the baby shrimp if they have babies.

Keep us posted your shrimps. :fish:

korith
04-15-2009, 07:26 PM
I bought 20 red cherry shrimp when I started a 10g shrimp tank around sept or august, now I've got about 200 or so in there. Been selling 20 or 40 every month. I'm sure the tank could support a lot more than I have. Oddly enough even with this many shrimp in the tank, it still doesn't feel like it's full.

If you have fish in the tank, the shrimp population will probably be held in check. If you got enough hiding places should have a steadily growing population.
If fish in the tank, you may want to watch what types of food you feed the fish since they contain copper. Shrimp are scavengers they will eat anything, and copper inhibits their reproduction. You'll have to check the labels on your food to make sure they don't contain. Also if have live plants avoid fertilizers with copper. Oh and you'll have to put foam or a nylon mesh of some sort over the filter intake to safe guard the baby shrimp.

twoshihpoos
04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow, thanks so much for all the info everyone! :) I never would have thought to cover up the intake with some nylon - thank you! I will keep you posted, I'm very excited!!

My ghost shrimp has been quite entertaining but I've always wanted Cherry Shrimp :)