PDA

View Full Version : stem plant suggestions...

matthew.shelly
04-10-2009, 02:22 AM
so i'm going to set up my 5.5 gallon as a planted betta tank. i'm going to use fluorite black substrate and will have a carpet of java moss over part of the tank. there will also be the two dwarf anubias i already have. i want a nice looking stem plant to hide my filter and heater in one of the corners. i was thinking some kind of ludwigia would look nice. i can take care of any lighting requirements.
suggestions...

matthew.shelly
04-10-2009, 03:51 AM
after looking up prices of various things, ive decided against the fluorite. i already have 10lbs. of gravel and can use fert tabs or liguid ferts for the plants. this also leads into: which fertilizers do you recommend?

PostalPenguin
04-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Red ludwigia is a good looking stem plant. Its growing under 2.8wpg and is turning a nice red. Stuff grows quite fast too. I forget what liquid fertilizer I am using at the moment but many people use Flourish, Flourish Excel, and things like that. Fertilizer tabs are best for root feeders since they feed from the roots and it also keeps the nutrients away from the algae. Liquid ferts are for the stems so you may need both.

Some people have success with using JOBs plant spikes as root tabs. The particular type recommended is for ferns.

Wild Turkey
04-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Dwarf rotala is one of my favorites, dont let the name fool you, great background plant. Another plant that turns red with better light. I do like ludwigia repens though

DrNic
04-12-2009, 04:19 AM
Dwarf rotala, and Red ludwigia (aka Broadleaf ludwig) are both awesome choices. If you're looking for something with a bit more bushy feel to it you could also try some Wisteria (hygrophila difformis).

I have some red ludwiga for sale in the classifieds. I also have both dwarf rotala and wisteria growing in my tanks although I'm still in the process of increasing their numbers. If you're interested drop me a PM.