PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Shrimp Breeding?

Yunli
04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Might sound dumb, but I want to breed Ghost Shrimp in a separate 5 or 10 gallon tank, I know they're will definitely be problems with feeding and with them eating each other, but would breeding be extremely difficult for a non-pro aquarist?

What would I need? Are they extremely picky? Is it worth it? (My LFS overprices them so....... yeah)

If it's possible what would I need as far as conditions and stuff?

Algenco
04-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Might sound dumb, but I want to breed Ghost Shrimp in a separate 5 or 10 gallon tank, I know they're will definitely be problems with feeding and with them eating each other, but would breeding be extremely difficult for a non-pro aquarist?

What would I need? Are they extremely picky? Is it worth it? (My LFS overprices them so....... yeah)

If it's possible what would I need as far as conditions and stuff?

if you were lucky enough to get one of the few varieties that are totally fresh water it would be simple.
Most of the shrimp sold as "ghost" require brackish water and the babies go through a larval stage.
Most shops sell them as food for $2 dozen

JFL Live
04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Let me know how you do. I am attempting the same thing. Iíve got about 30 Ghost Shrimp in a 29g aquarium with no fish. I picked them up for 33 cents each and several of the females were already carrying eggs.

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo216/JFLLive/Aquarium_10.jpg

CAF
04-07-2009, 11:19 PM
if you were lucky enough to get one of the few varieties that are totally fresh water it would be simple.
Most of the shrimp sold as "ghost" require brackish water and the babies go through a larval stage.
Most shops sell them as food for $2 dozen

Quite right. There are over thirty species of "Ghost Shrimp" and no one can tell them apart visually. They cover the water gamut, from freshwater to pure saltwater. Some of the "freshwater" varities need pure saltwater for the larvae to hatch, then brackish as they grow then freshwater as adults prior to mating. I wish you the best of luck. It has been done by commercial breeders but they are not talking. They do not want the competition.

Chris Fells