PDA

View Full Version : kuhlies loaches?

bettaboy691
02-18-2007, 06:13 PM
i recently purchased 2 of these eel like creatures and the day after i added them to my tank, they disapeared into the sand. like they do. i was wondering how do you know they are eating alright. what happens if one dies under the sand, will it effect my water, ie- raise ammonia.do the bodies float to the top or stay sinken? ive read about them on several websites but have only found out the basics like size, compatability, water temp. etc. any body want to share their experiences with these loaches is welcome to do so. i like to know how other people look after them.
hints and tips are also welcomed.
cheers thumbs2:

cocoa_pleco
02-18-2007, 06:28 PM
they naturally dig in sand. Im sure they eat, they scavenge arund. Make sure youre lights are turned off at night, as theyre nocturnal and night is their main feeding time.

Theyre bodies may float. When my fire eel finally died, he was bobbing halfways in the tank.

And to siphon in theyre under the gravel, siphon slowly so you dont chop em in half

bettaboy691
02-18-2007, 10:48 PM
just another question, i read they like to be in large groups so i might buy some more, but the problem is i bought these some distance away at a fish shop i would usally visit (saw them and bought them sort of thing, i planned to get some, but didnt expect to see any kuhlies that day)and they are black kuhlie loaches, my local fish shop only sells the yellow and brown ones, will they live together and group with one another?how many kuhli loaches are they altogether, i know silver ones, yellow and brown ones, black ones and albino ones, but are they all the same but different colors or do they require different conditions?
cheers for any help

*Sarah*
02-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I haven't seen my Dojo Loach since I added it on Tuesday.

cocoa_pleco
02-19-2007, 02:50 AM
i hadnt found one of my crayfish in a year, and in a year he popped out from a ornament

dishmando
02-19-2007, 03:04 AM
Likewise with my ID's. You'll rarely see them when the tank light is on. I usually see them in the morning first thing when i turn my light on. Even then, its for a couple of seconds, then......................BAM!!, they're gone!

cocoa_pleco
02-19-2007, 03:33 AM
my i.d was FREAKED of light, so his lights were never on

kimmers318
02-19-2007, 04:27 AM
I have noticed 2 things that have made my kuhli loaches more active.....strong water current from the fluval internal filter (so a powerhead may help) and they love the tea colored water from the tannins that leak out of the bogwood! It makes them feel more secure.
Things that have made them hide more is anything that disturbs their sense of peace! Mine had been VERY active constantly surfing the current and zooming around the tank, the tank was recently moved to another room with much more traffic and they are hiding again. I figure in a couple of weeks they will get used to the traffic and be less skittish once they realize they aren't going to get hurt when they come out.

minabird
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM
I transferred my four black kuhli loaches to my 28 gal about 2-3 months ago and they all went diving under a driftwood I placed over black sand in the front of the tank just for them. The first week or 2, I would see a couple of them surfing the current and coming out to eat with the cories, then nothing. I saw 1 of them about 2-3 weeks ago, but haven't seen them since. I decided to go looking for them and picked up that piece of driftwood and started siphoning the gravel behind it and ran my fingers thru the sand to loosen it up and scare them out of the substrate. None of them came out, so I’m not sure where they’re hiding or if they’re even alive. I bought a new light fixture with a moonlight, so hopefully that will encourage them to come out and I can actually see them at night.

just another question, i read they like to be in large groups so i might buy some more, but the problem is i bought these some distance away at a fish shop i would usally visit (saw them and bought them sort of thing, i planned to get some, but didnt expect to see any kuhlies that day)and they are black kuhlie loaches, my local fish shop only sells the yellow and brown ones, will they live together and group with one another?how many kuhli loaches are they altogether, i know silver ones, yellow and brown ones, black ones and albino ones, but are they all the same but different colors or do they require different conditions?
cheers for any help

I’ve only seen the banded and black kuhlis. I believe they are just different color varieties of the same species; if not then they are probably closely related species. So, they should all “school” together and require the same water conditions.

bettaboy691
02-19-2007, 03:33 PM
cheers for the help,

xoolooxunny
02-23-2007, 07:33 PM
I always make sure I feed my fish usually after I eat dinner, and then put i couple algae wafers in the tank for the kuhli loach about a half hour before the light goes out for the night. by the time the light goes out, they are already softened up and ready to be eaten, and the other fish are ready to settle down for the night. anything left over is taken care of by the shrimp and snails, and the kuhli can eat peacefully at night without the giant danios ravaging the wafers and scaring him off!

willisrad
03-24-2007, 03:59 PM
I have 4 Kuhli loaches in my aquarium.
I have one who is brave, and I see every night. The other 3 I thought may be dead, but I lifted a rock, and they all 4 were down there.

You shouldn't have a problem with different colors not getting along, etc.

I always throw in some sinking pelet food, but honestly, I think that most of my other fish devour it before the loached can even find it!

They are really cool fish though.

I've always wanted an eel. This is the next best thing without losing all the little guys in my tank.

marcryan11
06-29-2007, 08:36 PM
I have read many articles where people were breaking down their tanks, and found a pack of kuhli loaches under the undergravel. We had one go down there for about 2 months, then we were able to get him out. By that time he was too fat to fit down the air stack any more

TowBoater
06-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I had one die the other day. He was sitting on a plant. If you go in with a red light with the light off, you can catch them out and about, heck I am looking at one in another tank right now.:19:

Nick_Pavlovski
07-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Mine always show up at feeding time - a bit like Pavlov's dogs in that regard, they hear me knocking the plastic spoon with the Lemon Tetras' flakes on the tank lid, and immediately they are all out, "on duty", searching through the gravel, looking for scraps.

cocoa_pleco
07-01-2007, 04:41 PM
when i throw sinking pellets for mine they dive head first into the gravel for them

Nick_Pavlovski
07-01-2007, 11:16 PM
Heh, mine are always happy to give my Bristlenose a run for it's money when I put in some cut-up algae wafers for the Bristle.

Palor
08-23-2007, 09:30 AM
I love my Khuli loaches, I started with 2 rescues from a pet store that didnt even know they were in the tank. Then quickly added 4 more for a school of 6. They seem to be most active in the early morning hours or at dusk. I love watching them pick through plants and roots for food.

Nick_Pavlovski
08-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Having 2 Panda Cory's is showing me that, in terms of visibility and display, Cory's are better...my Kuhli's aren't always that good on being "visible".

cocoa_pleco
08-23-2007, 01:32 PM
same as my kuhlis. they go out sometimes at day but at night its full on scavenging

Kaga's Kritters
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I had one die the other day. He was sitting on a plant. If you go in with a red light with the light off, you can catch them out and about, heck I am looking at one in another tank right now.:19:

i was thinking of getting a kuli loach and was wondering if i used a red light on my tank instead of the regular light would the kulis come out during the day then?

cocoa_pleco
08-23-2007, 02:35 PM
mine already go out in the day. they just need a few weeks to learn that there are no predators in the tank then they get more comfortable

Kaga's Kritters
08-23-2007, 02:42 PM
cool, thanks.

TowBoater
08-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Sorry about not responding. Mine come out in the day as well and like to get in my anibus or w/e it is, it is a floating plant. I use a red headlight but any redlight they can't see. I use it in all of my tanks just to see the things you don't normally see.

Arkie
08-24-2007, 10:46 AM
i bought five kuhlis a mth ago and i only usually only ever see two or three at a time, they come out when my daughter goes to bed, (i think the vibrations of her running scares them!!) ive seen them schooling with my clown loaches and yoyo loaches. i think kuhlis are great even though you dont see them all the time, when you do it makes it that much more special!!!:41:

TowBoater
08-24-2007, 11:44 AM
mine poke there heads out from under there rocks when I come in feeding.

crackatinny
08-24-2007, 11:52 AM
I bought 4 about 6 weeks ago, they rairly come out, and I have only seen 3 at a time, I start work at 5am, and its in these early hrs I see them most.

I have come to fall in love with loaches and cichlids. I have clowns, yoyos and banded khulies, now I have started seeing the khulis a bit, I am going to get some black ones.

TowBoater
08-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Tell me how the blacks are, I only have banded.

pangio
11-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Black khuli's is the common name for the secies pangio oblonga, there are dozens or different species of khulis. Google Loaches on Line and look under species for a more detailed list.

First post on this very informitave forum. I actually keep a 20 gallon khuli tank of pangio oblonga [black khuli's].

KazAngel
12-21-2007, 11:39 PM
I am wondering about getting some khuli loaches but not sure about a number of things such as
how big do they get?
do they need sand on the bottom or is gravel ok?
will they be ok in a 3ft 200lt tank with 4 angels there are also 2 CAE, 1 shark, 1 clown loach, flying fox but the others may be going not sure yet.
lots of q's I know sory.

TowBoater
12-22-2007, 12:21 AM
Khulis would be fine in there but you need to get rid of the clown and make sure you have plenty of hiding places for the khuli. Sand or gravel, preferably sand so he can make him a little burrow under a rock or something.

kigroy
01-13-2008, 02:20 AM
just bought 5 kuhlis today. after releasing them they all hid under the larger rocks at the bottom. i have a feeling im going to really like these guys, especially after watching the lfs trying to catch them. i just hope they all make it to adulthood and live a long life. they are only about an inch now.

would anyone recommend putting salt in the tank for these?

kkevvy
01-13-2008, 04:19 AM
would anyone recommend putting salt in the tank for these?

Seeing as they are almost scaleless, or scaleless completely, they could be really sensitive to salt. I don't use it and my 3 kuhli's are fine.

I would suggest getting some moonlights, or red lights, or something like that so you can watch them when they're the most active, at night. Its awesome to watch them. They're like little... moles or something. Haha. Wicked cute!

kigroy
01-13-2008, 10:24 AM
good idea with the moon lights. :19: i may look for a diy on that...

TowBoater
01-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I would just get a head light from wally world and use the redlight on it, thats what I do!

kkevvy
01-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I would just get a head light from wally world and use the redlight on it, thats what I do!

Thats what I do too. Its a total POS headlamp, but it works to watch them.

Moonlights look way cooler though.

fishfanatic33
01-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Tell me how the blacks are, I only have banded.
They are.....well black,lol. Seriously they are just plain black

kigroy
01-14-2008, 07:38 AM
This morning the Kuhli's were swimming all over the tank. Fun too watch. Can't wait until they get bigger!!! now they look like little worms darting all over the tank.

TowBoater
01-14-2008, 12:05 PM
They only get like 3" and half the diameter of a pencil.

kkevvy
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Yesterday and today they've been really active during the day! I think my rams are luring them out? I love them, they're so cool.

kigroy
01-14-2008, 05:56 PM
They only get like 3" and half the diameter of a pencil.

beats only 1". :thumb:

TowBoater
01-14-2008, 10:11 PM
O so they are babys!! Very nice.:thumb: