PDA

View Full Version : My shrimp keep getting sucked up!

Hailey
03-13-2009, 01:53 AM
I had 8 cherry shrimp in my 33 gal, and now I only have 4. Once I found 2 live ones in the bottom of my filter, so I just them back in. Then I found 2 more who got back in there the other day. What can I put around the intake so they woun't get sucked up there anymore?
I can afford to go all the way back for more shrimp, and I know I have 1 male and 3 females left, So i hope they breed and I dont have buy anymore, cause thier a little pricey around here.
I heard about using pantyhose, but I I dont have any here.
Thanks! Hailey

invadertoast
03-13-2009, 01:54 AM
You can stick a piece of sponge over the filter intake (like a filter sponge)

Hailey
03-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Man, I dont have any left...times are really tight around here, no one can get a job anywhere!
Umm is there anything else? and if I found some mesh, what could I use to hold it on there?

Algenco
03-13-2009, 02:22 AM
piece of panty hose

Gemini
03-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Pantyhose, filtersponge, sponge - I tie mine on with a zip tie.

toddnbecka
03-13-2009, 04:49 AM
Keeping shrimp in a tank with fish will almost certainly prevent any baby shrimp from surviving, and quite likely the adults as well. If you want to raise shrimp they're much better off in their own tank.

fishlover49
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I use a piece of pantyhose on the end of the intake. I have never had a problem. thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
03-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Anything. A piece of filter floss wrapped around the strainer or some cheese cloth or nylon......

korith
03-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Yep definitely need something to cover the intake. If you think you got issues with the adults getting sucked into the filter, just wait till you see the baby shrimp they are a lot smaller.

Taurus
03-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Hailey, I followed the link to the photos of your tank. I really like it. The plants really look great. thumbs2:

As other have already stated, place a sponge, nylon, or filter floss over the filter intake to act as a prefilter.

Hailey
03-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Hailey, I followed the link to the photos of your tank. I really like it. The plants really look great. thumbs2:

As other have already stated, place a sponge, nylon, or filter floss over the filter intake to act as a prefilter.

Oh wow, thank you!

Well i have some mesh around it right now, but it doesnt fit very well, theres an opening on the side and bottom, but thats what i'll have to use for now. Thanks everyone!