PDA

View Full Version : Red Cherries

fireman5214
03-03-2009, 10:41 PM
My red cherry shrimp females both shed their exo-skeletons over night. do I have to take them out of the tank and will they make the nitrates go up? Also what I was reading is that they will put a chemical in the water to let males know they are ready for mating. i dont have a male yet but looking to get one and no local breeders are around and the stores dont have any. How long is she available for mating as I am looking to get a male as soon as possible.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2009, 10:43 PM
how do you only have 2 cherry shrimp?

they should mate every month or two so if you get some males within that time you should be okay.

korith
03-03-2009, 11:14 PM
You can leave the exoskeletons in the tank. They will forage off of them. Should mate every 4 weeks or so I think.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-03-2009, 11:21 PM
I would add more males and females. I worry with such a low starting population you could have some imbreading problems later on.

fireman5214
03-04-2009, 12:45 AM
I only have a 20 gallon long tank with some neons, dalmation molly, neon swordtail, red cherry barb, boesemani rainbow, guppy, cory and pleco. The only mouth large enough to eat them would be the pleco but i doubt he would eat them.

Wild Turkey
03-04-2009, 12:47 AM
leave the molts, the shrimp will eat them and it helps them regain nutrients

Edit: yes al it right about the fish, pretty much anything will eat the babies

Algenco
03-04-2009, 12:48 AM
neons, dalmation molly, neon swordtail, red cherry barb, boesemani rainbow, guppy

every one of those will feast on baby cherries

PUNISHER VETTE
03-04-2009, 12:57 AM
aren't most of those fish schooling/social fish? And doesn't a pleco get to like 8inches?

And yeah you'll either need a lot of hiding places and the proper filter cover if you ever plan on having the babies survive.

fireman5214
03-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Yeah i should have been more descriptive of my tank.. for the babies i have an intank sanctuary i guess would be the best thing to call it as some of my plants are not full grown. I would let the pregnant female in with another female so she would feel safe, i guess strength in numbers. I am going to get a sponge filter cover for the regular filter intake. My uncle, also really big on fish has 2 tropical tanks 90, and 29 gallon, 1 saltwater 12 gallon for his son to have a "nemo". He has alot of java moss and african chainsword for me at anytime as it is starting get large in his tank he said. I also read about putting a netting in with the java moss under it so it stays in tact i think i saw it on youtube if i remember exactly. Yes my pleco is bout 8 inches but he doesnt bother the other fish. I do have a hiding space for them but im looking for another thing this week so i can have a little cave typ next to the substrate so they can hide under there but the fish cant swim through. As for the schooling fish yes, the cherrybarbs and neons always swim together.

bocrayfish
06-19-2009, 05:50 AM
hmm i might take a plastic very small planting pot [washed out of course] poke a few holes in it just big enough for shrimplets to get in but not other fish just a idea o you might also add a long straw or pvc to the water holes that are usualy on the bottom [as this decot is bottoms up] so that u can feed them if they dont come out just my 2 cence