PDA

View Full Version : Dolpins freed from ice jam in Canada

Lady Hobbs
02-22-2009, 06:31 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29306418/

Dave66
02-22-2009, 06:52 AM
Saw that, Hobbsy. Sometimes the compassion of the human race surprises me.

Dave

Lady Hobbs
02-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Sometimes the lack of compassion surprises me, as well.

I saw about this struggle with these dolphins several days ago, of course I had to dream about them so got up to see if they have been freed.

HomaridNoob6
02-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Never been the biggest dolphin fan, they're cool and all, but well that's just a good heartwarming story. At least some people still care enough to do something, instead of just saying "gee that's a shame." thumbs2:

Sharon
02-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I've been watching this as well, as it happened a few hundred kilometers from here. People were upset that an icebreaker was not sent in. In actual fact, an icebreaker would have made things much worse for the dolphins. There were five at the beginning, and three were released. We hope that they made it to safety...

Lady Hobbs
02-22-2009, 03:05 PM
They said an icebreaker would have pushed even more ice their way. This happened a few years ago in Alaska and 200 + whales had to be killed.

Glub
02-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I saw this as well but didn't quite understand how they got stuck...

How does an intelligent aquatic animal end up getting trapped in a circle of ice that it can't swim under?

Sharon
02-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Dolphins are mammals and need to surface for air. When they swam into the small cove, they would have been following food. There would have been open water. The wind changed direction, and the ice moved in closer to shore. This trapped them in a small area of water. To aggravate matters, that small area water started to freeze due to a cold snap. The dolphins were then struggling to keep the hole in the ice open, so they could continue to surface.