PDA

View Full Version : yellow lumpy stuff in my crab tank?

aquasteph
02-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Ok right now I noticed this yellow lumpy stuff on my crab's log, just slightly out of the water. It looks almost exactly like apple sauce, although I haven't tried to touch it. Eggs?!@!? I know it's very, very unlikely for red-claw crabs to breed in captivity, so I'm doubting it. I've never, ever seen anything like this in my crab tank before, and I've had them for at least 6 months.

I included a picture. Has anyone ever seen this before?
Should I remove it? If it's eggs I'd love to remove them and protect them,
but I'm doubting that it's eggs....

any ideas? :help:

rageybug
02-22-2009, 05:29 PM
no no no... you have to melt the butter first, then dip the crab into it...

aquasteph
02-22-2009, 11:21 PM
what!?

um ok

Gemini
02-23-2009, 01:32 AM
I've never kept crabs but it does sort of look like what happened when my cherry shrimp were first breeding and they didn't know what to do. She dropped the eggs when she was trying to move them to her swimmerettes and she couldn't find them again. Maybe do some reading on red crabs and how they breed. Sorry I can't help more.

aquasteph
02-25-2009, 06:55 AM
I've never kept crabs but it does sort of look like what happened when my cherry shrimp were first breeding and they didn't know what to do. She dropped the eggs when she was trying to move them to her swimmerettes and she couldn't find them again. Maybe do some reading on red crabs and how they breed. Sorry I can't help more.

aw well thanks for your input! Better than "you're supposed to melt the butter before you dip the crabs in it"

so weird.

cocoa_pleco
02-25-2009, 10:44 PM
aBetter than "you're supposed to melt the butter before you dip the crabs in it"

lol, pretty much every thread that has "what can i put with my crayfish?" involves a butter and frying pan joke too

aquasteph
03-01-2009, 06:08 PM
hahah
now i get it

rageybug
03-02-2009, 05:00 PM
hahah
now i get it

jeez.... tough crowd... is this thing on.....

aquasteph
03-04-2009, 02:45 AM
not a tough crowd lol
i'm just a lil slow ;)