PDA

View Full Version : Need help

thisdude
02-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Is it possible to keep a 3inch silver arowana in a 20g long planted tank for 2 months? Will it outgrow it by then? I'm buying it for my brother. He lives pretty far so the next time I visit him would be in a month or two away. I set up a 55 gallon and 100gallon tank the last time I visited him. Those are now planted and waiting for the fish.

I just want to use the present before I give it away :18:

HomaridNoob6
02-22-2009, 01:08 AM
I think it might get a bit cramped, but i dunno for sure no clue on their growth rate. Wouldn't a 100 gallon tank still be kind of small for a full grown arowana though? that's what i'd be more concerned about. I don't know about any of the particular species, but I've seen some of those suckers that were monstrous.

thisdude
02-22-2009, 01:16 AM
Yep, it's just that the 55 and 100 are what I have set up for it now. There are bigger tanks, but they're not ready.

I'd just love to keep it for a month before letting it go. Always wanted one myself, but too risky putting large tanks in my apartment.

HomaridNoob6
02-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Cool! if he has bigger tanks waiting, well, lets just say I'm envious. Just wouldn't think a 100 would do it for an arowana, but... It's great for probly a good long time. I have no clue on their growth rate like i said, but I'm sure someone with some knowledge of them will post here soon :)

Eddie
02-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I've heard of arowana being kept comfortably in a 55gal tank their whole life. I wouldn't recommend it at all due to their size, I'm just assuming they were able to be kept in a 55gal because they died early on.

What are the dimensions of your 100gal setup?

thisdude
02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm not too sure the exact dimensions, but I remember something like 72x18x19...BUT. what I want to know is if I can keep this small beast in a 20g for a while :l22:

donvichu
02-23-2009, 03:37 AM
I'm not too sure the exact dimensions, but I remember something like 72x18x19...BUT. what I want to know is if I can keep this small beast in a 20g for a while :l22:

Guess for a month in 20G is fine but keep in mind silver arowana's grow very fast.....even then yoiur 100G wouldnt be sufficient for them as silver arowana's grow more than 3ft in captivity and in less than one and a half year....they grow fast....for the time being keep him in a 20 g for a month....no decoration just the filter and the tank

Pterophyllum
03-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Is it possible to keep a 3inch silver arowana in a 20g long planted tank for 2 months? Will it outgrow it by then? I'm buying it for my brother. He lives pretty far so the next time I visit him would be in a month or two away. I set up a 55 gallon and 100gallon tank the last time I visited him. Those are now planted and waiting for the fish.

I just want to use the present before I give it away :18:

Hmm.

Arowana AKA flying water monkeys grow pretty fast if fed enough.

They grow to 1 meter long when fully grown, but you have a small 3 inch one.

Are you using it for a present? because the person better have a big tank with other arowanas because arowanas get big, and will eat smaller fishes.

I personally thing it isn't a good idea to raise them, but it does require a lot of experience with the fishes.

if you don't have any fish experience or your friends/family, then you should not bother getting one.

Good luck!

Demjor19
03-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Silvers grow about 1" a month for their first 2 years. He will be fine in a 20 gallon (in fact he will be better of in the 20 for that time period). Be very careful as to what you keep with the arowana...they are very fragile and jumpy as juvies. I bought mine at 2.5"...She's now about 20 inches and 2 years old. Do keep us updated! And let me know if you need any assistance.