PDA

View Full Version : Amano Shrimp?

troy
02-21-2009, 06:15 AM
Would they be any good eating hair algae off plants? I've got some disgusting stuff growing on my anubius?

xximanoobxx
02-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Yep.
They are good algae eaters.
other ones you might consider are cherry red shrimp, yellow shrimp, CRS, but not the ghost shrimp.

Fishguy2727
02-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Ghost shrimp are a good option for scavenging, so they still have their niche.

But yes, amano shrimp (aka algae-eating shrimp) are a great option for hair algae and safe in the planted aquarium. They also develop some amazing colorations over time in the right water and on the right diet. I have had a few go blue on me.

NickFish
02-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Amano shrimp are THE algae eater for planted tanks.

They don't have a hige appetite, but they'll make a dent. Especially if you buy lots of them at a time. Accomplished (and rich) fishkeepers like Takashi Amano will often put in hundreds of Amano Shrimp at a time, a ton of those guys will eat any algae you have in a week.

Still, a good 2-6 or so per 10 gallons of water and you will see a difference in your algae over a short period of time. I wouldn't buy any less than a half dozen at a time.

Really though, you should be trying to solve the underlying causes of the algae, low CO2, poor circulation, changing too much water at a time, than simply adding a ton of shrimp to take care of it. It works but the algae will almost always come back if you don't solve the underlying cause(s).

PUNISHER VETTE
02-21-2009, 06:40 PM
I had 3 at one time in my 110g. 1 is left and it's huge. Can't really tell if it does anything but i do know my black brush algae has gotten so out of control.

IF it ate BBA it probably would have stopped it from spreading but i have a feeling it doesn't.

Next time I go to the LFS i'm going to pick up a few more.

troy
02-21-2009, 09:19 PM
I know what's causing the algae I'm trying to fix but right now I'm trying a temporary fix. I guess I'll get a few amano shrimp then.