PDA

View Full Version : Ghost shrimp dying

FishMom
02-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Hello, All,

I have a tank for my toddler son but, of course, we parents are the ones taking care of it. I had goldfish when I was a kid, so a small tank seemed do-able.

We have 2 male guppies and added 3 ghost shrimp a couple of days ago. The largest is a pregnant female (close to 1.5 inch), followed by a medium (not quite 1 inch) and small (about 1/2 inch). The medium & small have since died and the female seems to be holding on. I did a 50% water change today and she appeared a bit livelier, but she's still hiding out in the castle at the front of the tank. Today's water readings are 0-0 for nitrates-nitrites, <50 alkaline, ~7ph, and the water is very soft.

Our tank is a 2.5gal using only an air pump; we set up the tank in Nov'08 and have kept up weekly 50% water changes since. Other decoration include 3 plastic plants and a small tower. I've considered making the water brackish but have not had the time to look into it more thoroughly.

Any advice is certainly welcome.

Thanks!

smaug
02-19-2009, 12:08 AM
brackish would serve no purpose for the fish you have and it is too small for most any brackwater fish anyway.I dont know why your shrimp are dying.I may be mistaken but you mention soft water,I think shrimp prefer a bit of carbonate hardness for shell generation.

Lady Hobbs
02-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Are you feeding them cucumbers, zucchini or pellets now and then?

FishMom
02-19-2009, 02:16 AM
No veggies or "special shrimp" foods for them. The smallest one appears to have died within 24 hours, while the medium one took another day and a half to do so. As far as I'm concerned, there's plenty of uneaten food in the gravel since the guppies usually don't eat everything fed to them.

korith
02-19-2009, 02:21 AM
Ghost shrimp are not very hardy, usually wild caught, and frequently they are sold as feeders for fish. Having a few die off is fairly common. Try acclimating the shrimp to the tank slower. I usually drip acclimate the shrimp over the span of a few hours, that seems to help a fair bit. Maybe get 10 or so ghost shrimp for the tank. The shrimp with the eggs, the eggs will most likely not mature in the tank.

FishMom
02-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, the last shrimp (female with eggs) died sometime yesterday--very sad to find her lying "all pinked out" at the bottom. I called the shop I got my shrimp from and filled them in on my situation. The fellow suggested that there might be something up with my water, even though the strips I use give me okay numbers. I'll try letting them sample my tank water and grab a few more shrimp.

Korith, when you say drip acclimate, do you mean letting 1 shrimp into the tank at a time? I went for the usually float the bag for about an hour before transferring them to a bucket to scoop them up and put them in the tank.

Heliwyr
02-21-2009, 01:28 AM
Well, the last shrimp (female with eggs) died sometime yesterday--very sad to find her lying "all pinked out" at the bottom. I called the shop I got my shrimp from and filled them in on my situation. The fellow suggested that there might be something up with my water, even though the strips I use give me okay numbers. I'll try letting them sample my tank water and grab a few more shrimp.

Korith, when you say drip acclimate, do you mean letting 1 shrimp into the tank at a time? I went for the usually float the bag for about an hour before transferring them to a bucket to scoop them up and put them in the tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=19

The drip method is on the second half of the page. It talks mostly about saltwater species, but this method works well for any fish. I used it when I added my shrimp to my tank and I did not lose any.

FishMom
02-21-2009, 03:26 AM
Thanks, for the explanation! I'll give it a try with the next batch and see how it goes.

korith
02-21-2009, 03:40 AM

That link heliwyr posted explains drip acclimating. Basically the idea is to acclimate the shrimp to your tank's water conditions very slowly over a long period of time. That way the shrimp have time to adjust from fish stores water to yours, this is less stressful on the shrimp.

FishMom
02-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks, Korith! When I get more shrimp, I will certainly use the acclimation directions Heliwyr pointed me to.

The final word about my dead shrimp is ammonia poisoning. I popped back over to the store where I got the shrimp from today and brought them a water sample to test. Everything tested okay or negative except the ammonia level, which was deadly. My previous experience when I was younger didn't include ammonia testing, which among you veterans I'm sure, is an important factor to test for.

Anyway, I've got a good filter/pump to help clear up the tank better, and hope to give the shrimp another try in about a month or so. Anyone I know who buys one of those "complete" kits from the pet store will get a strong recommendation from me to get a good filter/pump!

Thanks again, everyone!