PDA

View Full Version : So I'm going to return my Tiger Barbs...

hideandseek
02-13-2009, 03:56 AM
About a week and a half ago, I bought 5 for my 55 gallon and they don't seem to be getting along well with the other fish in my tank. They inhale all of the food that I feed them before any other fish has a chance to eat, and then they follow all the other fish around waiting for them to kick up food off the bottom and then they again eat it before anyone else has a chance. If another fish gets to food before them they will charge the fish to scare it away from the food so they can eat it. I put 4 3/4" molly fry in the 55 gallon a week ago and only one is left and has major tail fin damage from them nipping it. I have until Saturday to take them back to Petco, unless they shape up in time, I am taking them back.

doug z
02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Good call..

Wait till you can give them their own tank..

(and get more than 5, if you do.. They're very cool to watch in a big school)

Jellygirl
02-14-2009, 11:36 AM
I was contemplating a school of tiger barbs and i know with tigers "the more the merrier". Perhaps as Doug has said, if they are worrying your other fish, taking them back might be the best option. The bullying and worrying is something I will certainly consider as they would be sharing a tank with a BN, Krib and clown (poor clown).

Jellygirl

hideandseek
02-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Karbomb even recommended that tiger barbs be kept in a species only tank.

ctjlm1088
02-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Thats sad to hear, but I think its a good decision if things don't change for you. I love tiger barbs, and I guess I'm pretty lucky that mine are the way they are (they only pick on eachother, and its not that bad). But definitely the more the merrier! Hope you're last fry stays well!!!! Good luck :-)