PDA

View Full Version : Molted shell??

andreal1623
02-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Hi im wondering if anyone can help!

When we bought our red crabs the guy warned us that when they molt the disgarded shell would look like a dead crab.

Is this true? and if so how do I tell if he's molted or dead??

Thanks in advance!!
:help:

Crispy
02-10-2009, 08:09 PM
When we bought our red crabs the guy warned us that when they molt the disgarded shell would look like a dead crab.
Is this true? and if so how do I tell if he's molted or dead??

yes, this is true... when your crab molts you will see a near perfect shell of him and you'll still see the live crab.

andreal1623
02-10-2009, 08:30 PM
It was VERY realistic!! I gave it a poke to see if it moved and there seemed to be a flap on the underside of the shell. :ssuprised:

We've not seen the crab tho? Suppose he could be hiding?

Deleted User
02-10-2009, 08:34 PM
It was VERY realistic!! I gave it a poke to see if it moved and there seemed to be a flap on the underside of the shell. :ssuprised:

Your crab will hide until his new shell hardens off. It is amazing and really cool to watch a crab or any other shellfish moult. thumbs2:

Crispy
02-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Probably is hiding... just wait and he should poke out sometime. Molting crabs are healthy crabs!

andreal1623
02-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Come to think of it, he wasn't that active yesterday and he had lost a leg! Am I just being paranoid or are they also signs of molting?

(blush)

aquasteph
02-11-2009, 01:24 AM
if he lost a leg, he could be fighting with another crab, or stressed. Generally when they are ready to grow a new leg they will molt. But if he has already molted, that means that he is happy and healthy. Molting is a good sign.

Fighting is totally natural for crabs. Make sure to keep an eye on them though to make sure that they aren't beating up on one particular crab-- try to get them about the same size to prevent dominance issues. (Even though there will ALWAYS be dominance issues.)

Aren't the exoskeletons neat!? I take mine out and let them dry up hard. They're super neat to study.

Enjoy!

aquasteph
02-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Oh and make sure to give him some time alone in hiding after he's molted. He will be soft and vulnerable until his new shell hardens.

andreal1623
02-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Looks like he died :scry:

One of our other crabs moulted last night and there was a clear difference! Poor little guy must've lost a fight. :scry: