PDA

View Full Version : Siamese Algae Eater stopped eating?

Chrona
02-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I've had this 2 inch long siamese algae eater for about a month now, and he has always eaten flake food and algae greedily. In the past few days, however, I notice he spits out everything that goes in his mouth. He'll still chase after all the bits of flakes and whatnot, but it doesn't appear as though any is eaten. Furthermore, the beard algae is starting to grow back a little bit, and is quite visible in some areas, which never used to be a problem because the guy would eat it all up. In the past week, however, I noticed my guppy was getting increasingly aggressive towards the SAE, especially during feeding times. Obviously the SAE is way faster than the guppy, but he still had to spend alot of energy getting away. Is my problem parasite? Or just a behaviour/aggression related issue? Thanks for your help.

Oh and water parameters are great, pH 6.8, hardness 4.0, ammonia/nitrites 0, nitrates 5

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2007, 11:46 PM
usually its the CAE that gets pi$$y and agressive. Dont worry about food. Ive never seen mine eat for like 6 months now, im sure he eats at night

Chrona
02-09-2007, 12:09 AM
usually its the CAE that gets pi$$y and agressive. Dont worry about food. Ive never seen mine eat for like 6 months now, im sure he eats at night

No the guppy is aggressive towards the SAE, not the other way around. My 10 gallon is like the Twilight Zone. My guppy and my biggest cardinal tetra terrorize my angelfish and SAE lol. The angelfish has a little piece missing from the dorsal fin when the cardinal took a bite.

And it's not so much that I'm worried about him not eating. He IS eating, in fact eating alot, but he spits it all back out again, so..... and he's not eating the algae either. He just spends a large amount of time resting on plants when he used to be really active

cocoa_pleco
02-09-2007, 12:44 AM
hes gettin to be an oldtimer. LOL

try smaller food if he spits it out, like bloodworm

Chrona
02-09-2007, 02:59 AM
hes gettin to be an oldtimer. LOL

try smaller food if he spits it out, like bloodworm

lol

This is already small food, it's crushed up tetramin flakes that I split between the guppy fry and the other inhabitants.

cocoa_pleco
02-09-2007, 03:06 AM
i guess try bloodworm, and he may take algae wafers.

Chrona
02-09-2007, 03:20 AM
I dunno if he can fit bloodworms in his mouth yet, but he does eat and spit out algae wafers like he does with the flakes. Makes a big mess. Maybe I'll try some zuchini....

cocoa_pleco
02-09-2007, 03:39 AM
zucchini may grab his interest

Chrona
02-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Argh, this is aggravating. The guy hasn't eaten (that I've seen) in a week now. He eats flakes, then spits them back out. I've tried leaving pieces of lettuce, zuchinis, and cucumbers, but they are all untouched. He looks really skinny now. I've tried water changes, a different brand of flakes, and still nothing. Not sure how much longer he'll last :/

Drumachine09
02-13-2007, 02:51 AM
Most fish could go up to a month without eating. Is he bloated at all?

Chrona
02-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Most fish could go up to a month without eating. Is he bloated at all?

He tends to swim around alot with his head pointed up (although has no problem keeping balance when needed), which is the same thing I noticed when I first got him. It went away after a while though, but is back now. Is that a sign of bloating? I remember one of my goldfish got bloated, and the rear kept pointing up.

Drumachine09
02-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Does he look fatter than normal? He could be constipated. If he is, lure him with some peas, that will clear out the pipes REAL good!

Chrona
02-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Does he look fatter than normal? He could be constipated. If he is, lure him with some peas, that will clear out the pipes REAL good!

Nah, he looks much skinnier than usual. I started thinking that he had internal parasites, but every once in a while, he'll skim the glass for some algae. He's not touching the black beard algae that has grown out since he stopped eating it though :rolleyes:

I'll try peas though, if only for the nutritional value. He tends to spit out everything that goes into his mouth though

Drumachine09
02-13-2007, 03:00 AM
Keep us updated on his condition

Chrona
02-14-2007, 03:55 AM
Ugh, the bugger nibbles as some of the thin soft algae growing on the sides of the tanks, but I can't tell if he actually eats it. Still spits the flakes out. Anyone know of a good quality algae pellet that doesn't dissolve or break down easily in water? This Wardley stuff I've been trying is junk. The stuff is like mashed potatoes after 5 minutes and my angelfish grabs it, runs for a corner, and hogs it all lol

The fish was 2.49....internal parasite meds are like 15 bucks....I dunno what to do :X

cocoa_pleco
02-14-2007, 04:18 AM
hikari pellets maybe, but when hes hungry im sure he'll eat. like i said, i never saw mine eat.He'd ignore anything i gave him

Chrona
02-14-2007, 04:30 AM
Well, the thing is, he's getting really skinny, and he always dives for the food. Anytime I go near the tank, he hovers near the top with the guppy and the angelfish waiting for food, so I know he's hungry. Problem is, he spits everything out, even the algae wafers when he can snatch them from the angel

cocoa_pleco
02-14-2007, 02:06 PM
hmmmmm, i dont know what to do

Chrona
02-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Woot, he stopped spitting out food and is actually eating the flakes now. He's got a lot of catching up to do.....darn brush algae...lol

cocoa_pleco
02-15-2007, 02:53 AM
hes finally got hungry enough to want to eat! great!