PDA

View Full Version : ghost shrimp turning milky?

aquasteph
02-10-2009, 04:33 AM
One of my ghost shrimp looks like he is filled with milk. Why? :(

:20:

Fishguy2727
02-10-2009, 04:51 AM
They usually do that at work right before they die. I am not sure why. Keep us updated.

aquasteph
02-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Strange, he's been like that for a while. Probably almost a month now. I have noticed that happen to two of my shrimp before (getting milky then dying), but this one isn't dying (yet).

I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

Thanks for your response

:20:

korith
02-10-2009, 05:01 AM
Sometimes go milky/pinkish when dying/dead. Though I do have a few in the tank that have always been a whiter colour to them.

karbomb
02-10-2009, 05:44 AM
i think i posted this exact thread about a year ago. i had the same problem my ghosties, they were white for about two months, as i recall. it is a death sentence for them to turn white. i am not sure why they turn milky, but surely your guys a goner in the next few weeks, sorry.

Fishguy2727
02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Now that I think about it the issues may be molting problems. Without enough Iodide in the water they have problems molting. This could be visible as milkiness, the way a snake looks before it sheds. It may continue to not molt and end up dying. This could explain it all.

Anyone had one molt while milky and stay milky?

aquasteph
02-11-2009, 01:29 AM
do they sell straight iodine for fish or do they put it in aquarium salt like they do table salt?

hmm i'm going to have to find out about this.
maybe i'll test you're theory to see if he molts/it saves him.

Fishguy2727
02-11-2009, 03:12 AM
There is some Iodide made for reef aquariums. It is safe for freshwater, but I wouldn't dose as much as directed for a marine tank (cut it in half or so). And you may not dose as often as directed (if you are doing weekly water changes I would add after water changes).

Mvjnz
02-11-2009, 03:20 AM
I have heard of shrimp going milky and then dying up to a month later. But I don't remember seeing a cause or treatment, but it seemed to be contagious.