PDA

View Full Version : bubbling fiddlers

Laurakay
02-06-2009, 01:45 AM
I have posted on other forums about my tank-had some fish die-offs in my 29 gallon freshwater. I suspected it was my 2 fiddler crabs (1 male, 1 female)doing some night hunting. I have since removed them and placed then into a 10 gallon tank. They have gravel, and some sand, floating plants, and a nice big rock and a piece of hollowed out wood (all purchased from the store). They have about 3 inches of water (added some aquarium salt, fully dissolved) to play and PLENTY of room to get out of the water. I do not have a filter nor do I have a heater. BUT, I have placed a wrapped heating pad set on warm to maintain 76-80 degrees, same as the 29 gallon they were in. The fish are happy (no more crabs) But the crabs are not very active. I used to see them skittering around the 29 gallon all the time. Now they are less active and I don't think they are eating as much (less claw to mouth motion), AND there are bubbles all around them. What are these bubbles all about? Is is bad? They have only been in their new tank for a week now. I want happy crabs. Any suggestions???

labnjab
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Do you have any pictures? I had fiddlers for 6 months in freshwater (didn't know they needed brackish at the time) and I never saw them bubble. Did you slowly bring up the salt content or move them straight to salt? Moving them from fresh straight to salt may have shocked them. For the salt you need to use marine grade salt and not aquarium salt and raise the salt content slowly week by week to a specific gravity between 1.005 and 1.015 (use a refractometer or hydrometer to measure)

Laurakay
02-08-2009, 11:03 PM
I changed their water a few days ago and added just a bit of aquarium salt (before I read your message) What is the difference between aquarium salt and marine salt? Will it make that much of a difference? I really did not add that much salt, it was diluted 4x with my fish tank water. I just don't see them as active anymore...and I tried to add more crab friendly things, like sand, and tunnels. Is the heating pad okay? I check the temp twice a day and it seems fine. Do I need a filter? They are only in 3 inches of water....hmmm