PDA

View Full Version : Orange Shrimp Turning Black?

EddyC
02-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm new to keeping shrimp, but I've looked around online and couldn't find a satisfactory answer to a phenomenon I've observed in my tank.

About two weeks ago I bought 2 shrimp to add to my planted community tank. They were labeled "orange shrimp", and I'm pretty sure the one in the first picture is Neocaridina sp. "mandarine". The one in the second picture, however has dark body patterns that the other lacks, so I'm not sure if they're the same species. That, however, is not my main concern since they both seem to get along with each other and with the red cherries in the tank.

What is troubling (and a little frightening) is that I looked in the tank this morning to find that the shrimp with the darker patterns had completely changed colors! It's now clear with black spots instead of orange. Any ideas about what could be causing this? My water chemistry is fine, and the other shrimp is/are showing no signs of changing color. Should I be worried?

Wild Turkey
02-03-2009, 11:06 PM
The first pic is for sure a yellow cherry shrimp or Neocaridina they have a zillion names, banana shrimp is a popular one it just a color morph.
the other one may be a different type, or it may be that they guy did a poor job breeding out the yellow in the shrimps.

Naturally, i believe all Neocaridina are a nice poop colored brown. :D
Similar to mystery snails in comparisson

Wild Turkey
02-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Hey eddy is the black one smaller by chance?

EddyC
02-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi, Wild Turkey, thanks for getting back to me so soon.

The two shrimp seem to be about the same size -- if anything, I'd say the black one is a bit bigger. Both are also the same size as the red cherries.

The black one has always been the most timid shrimp in the tank, and I do have dark substrate, is it possible that the shrimp changed color to blend in? Are they capable of doing that?

Wild Turkey
02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi, Wild Turkey, thanks for getting back to me so soon.

The two shrimp seem to be about the same size -- if anything, I'd say the black one is a bit bigger. Both are also the same size as the red cherries.

The black one has always been the most timid shrimp in the tank, and I do have dark substrate, is it possible that the shrimp changed color to blend in? Are they capable of doing that?

Nah doubtful, to a point perhaps, but only color intensity not color itself, and really im not sure, they dont seem to go pale like the fish do at night so much.

I suspect its just due to the breeder not selecting his yellows very carefully. If they are happy and healthy, i'd say its nothing to worry about. The reason i asked about size was i was thinking maybe the black one was a male, but since you said they are about the same size thats probably not it.

Algenco
02-04-2009, 05:49 PM
I think the orange color is affected by diet

Wild Turkey
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
I think the orange color is affected by diet

Uh-oh, now you got my attention! soo.....al.....what should i be feeding cherrys for more color? :D

Algenco
02-04-2009, 06:13 PM
foods high in beta-carotene usually enhance red/orange.

I feed regular flakes, an algae sheet 2-3 times per month and a few frozen blood worms once per week to the cherries

EddyC
02-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the replies.

As long as the color change isn't something bad - especially something I can/could have prevented I'm not concerned.

The interesting thing is that I've been feeding them flake food (crushed finely so it can get past the hungry fish), and the food contains a good amount of beta carotene to help enhance the colors of the fish. I would assume it would do the same for the shrimp, no?

Wild Turkey
02-04-2009, 07:42 PM
foods high in beta-carotene usually enhance red/orange.

I feed regular flakes, an algae sheet 2-3 times per month and a few frozen blood worms once per week to the cherries

thanks i wrote all that down :D