PDA

View Full Version : Betta with possible bloat???? Help

kimmers318
02-06-2007, 03:57 AM
My betta that is in a community tank quite happily is bloating on me. I have read about bloat and in most cases it also causes the fish to have the telltale scales sticking out. This guy is not doing that. He is just one fat betta. I have had him separated in a breeder box for about 6 days now and have been starving him. I know that if it is true bloat which is almost always described right alongside dropsy, I probably don't have much of a chance of saving him, but since he is not getting worse or having his scales stick out I am wondering if something might work. He hasn't been fed for 5 days now, do you think it would be okay to try some peas tomorrow or should he have passed it already if he was constipated? Has anyone dealt with this? Did you have any luck and if so, what did you do?

cocoa_pleco
02-06-2007, 04:22 AM
go with the peas. Theres not much else 2 do except clean water

Drumachine09
02-06-2007, 04:46 AM
I would say dont feed him/her for 5-7 days. Then start peas.

kimmers318
02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Well, he hasn't eaten for 5 days already, today is day 6, so I guess the family has the peas for dinner tonight. This is pretty boggling for me since he is willing to eat, is just as active, and no scales sticking out. Thanks guys.

Betta_noob
02-07-2007, 01:53 AM
He's probally just reaaaaaaallly backed up then.
Especially if it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.
Once I had a boy that ate an algae wafer when he wasn't supposed to.
Two hours later he looks fat and was having a little trouble swimming.
Next morning I woke up he was still like that, made him a pea.
3 hours later normal sized betta again.

Peas work wonders, hope your boy is alright :D

Drumachine09
02-07-2007, 01:57 AM
So how is your fish today?

bubble_bee
02-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey guys! I'm having exactly the same problem...except my boy has just started resting on the bottom once in a while. He's still active and eager to eat though, so I'm hoping he's just really fat or blocked up! How exactly do I go about feeding peas? Is there any preperation involved?

Thanks!

cocoa_pleco
02-09-2007, 03:42 AM
boil the peas for 10 seconds b4 feeding them

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Bloat can also come from a bacterial infection.

kimmers318
02-09-2007, 01:44 PM
I thought about the bacterial infection for the bloat, but what made me wonder was that his scales are not sticking out. He wouldn't touch the pea, he is the only fish infected at this point so I guess I will continue to starve the poor guy and see if he is willing to eat a pea in a day or 2. Since I haven't read of much success with treatment for bacterial bloat he is probably too far gone at this point so if he gets to the point of suffering without bouncing back I will do the humane thing. As long as he is still active and happy to see me I will leave him be. I have him separated in a floating breeder box in the tank so he can't get to other food for now.