PDA

View Full Version : What are your Barbs eating?

copper_eos
01-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Right now my Rosy Barbs are just eating boring old flake food. I was wondering what the rest of you add to your Barbs diets? Types of veggies, meats, etc? How do you go about preparing it? I've been reading that most fish like certain types of vegetables, brine shrimp, etc. I'd like to make sure my fish are getting all the nutrients they need.

Deleted User
01-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I find barbs love daphnia ( water fleas) brine shrimp & blood worm. :ssmile:

If you only feed flake food your more likely to get constipation. A varied diet is the way to go with any fish. :ssmile:

copper_eos
01-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Should I add any sort of vegetables and if so what kind?

Dave66
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
They will nibble most fruits, particularly apple and pear halves. Peel and core the apple, and sink it with a clean teaspoon. Slice a pear in half. If the pear is ripe, it'll sink by itself, but spear a half with a spoon.

Try an apple one day, and observe the barbs. They should pick at it all day, especially if they aren't fed that day. Remove any apple that remains after 24 hours. Try the pear the next day.

What you're simulating is aufwuchs, that is, plant debris on hard surfaces. Good part of the diet of the small schoolers, not to mention a lot of Cichlids.

Dave

MCHRKiller
01-28-2009, 09:39 PM
I have a shoal of 8 tiger barbs, and just recently added 3 rosey barbs to the mix to control some algae. I feed mine a good tropical flake(OSI Freshwater), I also feed them live brine, and mine have really taken to Massivore Delite they absolutly love to peck at one of the large pellets it literally is a frenzy. Other than that they get the occasional cucumber, zuchinni, and apple.

jb300m01
01-29-2009, 02:33 AM
Flake in the morning and a treat at night when I get home from work. It varies between Hikari frozen bloodworms (their favorite), Spirulina & Krill, freezedried bloodworms & tubifex worms. The clown loaches like the Spirulina most and the barbs hardly even get a bite. They also pick at the zucchini I leave for the pleco

copper_eos
02-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Thank you for all the great suggestions. I will have to try some of these. Start mixing them in with that boring old flake food

ctjlm1088
02-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I have 6 tiger barbs (4 tiger, 2 albino) and they LOVE bloodworms, especially the frozen ones. I've read that you can feed them boiled lettuce and zuchinni from some pamphlets I got from Petsmart.