PDA

View Full Version : Got a bamboo shrimp

OscarFan
01-19-2009, 06:34 AM
Got a bamboo shrimp today I stuck him in my 25g which has 6 gold barbs and 3 Tigerbarbs and 3 otos. Does anyone have experience with them??

karbomb
01-19-2009, 06:38 AM
i had one in my 10g but it starved to death, i was misinformed by my LFS who told me he'd do fine. they are filter feeders and need to be in large planted tanks (40-55g+) with lots of food available for them to filter out of the water. mine lived for about 3 months, molted once and then died.

OscarFan
01-19-2009, 06:41 AM
I have some fry food that I heard u feed them and they will survive. Although my current may be a little weak so I might switch some filters around.

korith
01-19-2009, 06:42 AM
Seen them at the lfs but at $10 range always was too pricy for me to even think of trying. If it's like any other shrimp might have to add a calcium source to the tank for them.

karbomb
01-19-2009, 06:55 AM
here's some info on them
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/shrimp2.htm#wood
under wood shrimp, there are known as singapore shrimp, bamboo shrimp and wood shrimp.
this person recommends a 200g tank for em.
oh and it's a bad sign if you see the guy eating off the tank's floor or scavenging food anywhere, they will only do that if they are not getting enough food from the water.
some of the sites i looked at recommended algae wafers/ suspended green algae, zoo plankton and or photo-plankton as a dietary supplement

OscarFan
01-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Looks like Im going to be supplementing some food for him. A reefstore near me cultures some sort of plankton so Ill probably be getting some soon. I also have first bites from hikari that I will try as well as algae wafers.

angelcakes
01-19-2009, 07:58 AM
they sound nice any pics?

karbomb
01-19-2009, 07:59 AM
just trying to help cos i sad when my guy died, i didn't want to starve him to death. and i have enough micro nutrients in my tank to keep mussels alive... they are so fun to watch though. also as i side note i found out that most of the ones sold are wild caught.

OscarFan
01-19-2009, 08:03 AM
just trying to help cos i sad when my guy died, i didn't want to starve him to death. and i have enough micro nutrients in my tank to keep mussels alive... they are so fun to watch though. also as i side note i found out that most of the ones sold are wild caught.
I also read that. Its a bummer but it explains why all the ones at the lfs were almost full grown. Thanks for the help. And sorry no pics yet ill see if I cant get some up tomorrow.

karbomb
01-19-2009, 08:07 AM
no prob, i just hope i can help other learn from my mistakes.