PDA

View Full Version : Live Food?

agentsmith
02-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Hi all,

I've read here that feeding live food to arrowanas is a bad idea, I've been feeding mine (28" silver) bugs, spikers, scorpions and mice whenever I can catch them in the backyard, I even feed him small squids I buy from the local fish market. I thought the acid in the fish's digestive system can kill the germs and possible diseases live food can carry. Plus, isn't live food what wild fish eat in the wild?

Fishguy2727
02-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Yes, but considering that in the wild almost none live long enough to breed and that one reason for that is disease, no need to increase the risk of killing them. Their stomachs do not come close to killing everything. It is way too likely that they are carrying something (especially if they are wild caught) to risk killing your pet.

Rue
02-02-2007, 12:17 AM
...other than disease and parasite risks...

...by feeding wild-caught food you're also subjecting your fish to a pesticide risk...

...safer to feed him the store-bought food -crickets, mealworms, waxworms...I'd think that you could also feed him thawed pinkies...

Severus
02-02-2007, 04:10 AM
As everyone has said, live food really just isnt necessary. With all of the good quality foods on the market you can supplement his diet with it will be a lot more healthy and safer.

nikipate
02-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Hi all,

I've read here that feeding live food to arrowanas is a bad idea, I've been feeding mine (28" silver) bugs, spikers, scorpions and mice whenever I can catch them in the backyard, I even feed him small squids I buy from the local fish market. I thought the acid in the fish's digestive system can kill the germs and possible diseases live food can carry. Plus, isn't live food what wild fish eat in the wild?

One thing though is that your fish is not a wild fish in the wild....;) I wound up in the animal emergency center one weekend because we fed the dog too much table food and it made her sick. I tried to defend myself by saying that they eat dead stuff in the wild and it doesn't make them sick. The vet then pointed out that she wasn't in the wild and then gave me a $300 bill:hmm3grin2orange:

Drumachine09
02-02-2007, 04:22 AM
I'd think that you could also feed him thawed pinkies...

Feeding him live fuzzies would be more fun to watch though.

cocoa_pleco
02-02-2007, 04:40 AM
market live food is bad. One of my markets fish that are oscar-sized are stuffed in groups of 15 in a 33g tank, all with popeye, eyecloud, and fin/tail rot

Sin
02-02-2007, 11:17 AM
there is no need to risk your beautiful fish's life with backyard insects. . they can easily be obtained from a safer source , you can get some tasty fat juicy worms from the bait and tackle shop as well as spearings from there , arrows LOVE raw chicken cut up in small pieces and beef hearts , Shrimp is also good for them and brings out the many bands of color around their gills in shades of green and hues of reds + Purple , silversides and arrowana pellets are also a favorite.....you can also get a small tank and raise some mice , breed then then throw the fuzzy's in the tank on occasion...the size your arrowa is if you can obtain a good source on occasion you can also feed them baby birds .. but thats optional and only if you know where they came from :hmm3grin2orange:

Sin
02-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Feeding him live fuzzies would be more fun to watch though.
nature is Grand aint it Drumachine?? lolol

Fishguy2727
02-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Human enjoyment in the death of an animal is not reason to do it.

cocoa_pleco
02-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I like to watch angels eat crickets. fun 2 watch too.

My puffer just shreds it into pieces

Sin
02-02-2007, 10:52 PM
Human enjoyment in the death of an animal is not reason to do it.
nobody said anything about human enjoyment , in nature this IS what these kinds of fish eat ..if it can fit in their mouths , they will consume it..ever see an arowana yawn?? those mouths OPEN up dude

Sin
02-02-2007, 10:57 PM
i love to see my fish well fed...sooo yeah that is the thrill i get out of it..it makes me feel good to see them eat.nature is beautiful in a way where the only rule is only the strong survive.

Drumachine09
02-03-2007, 12:11 AM
nobody said anything about human enjoyment , in nature this IS what these kinds of fish eat ..if it can fit in their mouths , they will consume it..ever see an arowana yawn?? those mouths OPEN up dude

Yea, its not that we enjoy seeing an animal die, its that we enjoy seeing an animal eat food to survive. Its pretty amazing.

cocoa_pleco
02-03-2007, 02:22 AM
Yea, its not that we enjoy seeing an animal die, its that we enjoy seeing an animal eat food to survive. Its pretty amazing.

ditto:1: :1:

Sin
02-03-2007, 04:12 AM
initally if you think about it we have bend everything within our power to suit our OWN needs in all ways of life when it comes to things other then ourselves in a big way we are selfish , at times nature can seem to be cruel but there is also a raw beauty and a certain justice manifested in that cruelty , take for instance in the wild there is a hungry lion....and out in the tall grass there is a baby deer...if that lion doesnt eat he will surly starve and die , but his life is dependent on the baby deers own life...whats more cruel for the baby deer to die , or the lion to starve to death? such is nature cruel and beautiful since it gives life , BUT also takes life to perserve it...thats how it has always worked. like it or not. now what is really cruel and not even preseved as cruel is the partaking of fish keeping itself..who are we to take fish out of their NATURAL enviornments out from oceans and rivers and streams and put them in our living rooms in a tank? what purpose does that serve? for OUR enjoyment. what about the fish? they have to endure all types of chemicals most put in their water and constant water changes and uneven ecosystems we have created and stress we put on them..for what? yep OUR ENJOYMENT ...now what if we were to create the type of conditions that the fish would normally find in the wild as close as it is to their natural instints for THEIR ENJOYMENT, why does that seem cruel? its how you preseve what cruel means to you and how you take it..everything isnt one demesion and all sides have to be looked upon to fully understand the situation at hand. everything should be looked upon from as many sides as possible to fully comprehend anything or your just useing one side and thats YOUR SIDE. it doesnt work that way..never has..never will..and surly you can try to bend the rules but you will end up with unhappy fish that have been suited to meet your needs...whats the point in that? :wink2: :4: :4: :4:

Fishguy2727
02-03-2007, 01:51 PM
I was responding to a couple people listing things such as 'it's cool to watch' as reasons for feeding live food. If an animal will take prepared foods do it the favor of not using live, you will just end up introducing pathogens most likely.

Willyleigh
04-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi all,

Hi there,

why don't you breed up some feeder guppy's for him to eat, that way he gets the nutritional benefit of live food and you know that the fish are not infected with diseases.