PDA

View Full Version : Tiger/Green barbs + Kuhli loaches?

farrenator
01-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Hey all, new here. I have been doing some reading, especially Dave66's Barb primer. Great stuff. I would like to know if anyone has successfully kept Green Tiger barbs will Kuhli loaches. After reading the primer, it seems that if I get enough of the barbs it should be ok (thinking 6+).

Here is some background:

I have a 55 gallon (48" long) tank that I 'was' going to set up as a mainly tetra tank. Right now the tank consists of 5 Red Eye tetras (largest are only approx 1.25") and 5 Kuhli loaches (2.25" long and pretty thin). I 'was' going to get a large school of cardinal tetras but the Green Tiger barbs really caught my eye.

I am willing to get rid of the Red Eye Tetras if they get beat up by the barbs but I don't want to part with the loaches. They are too much fun when they decide to show themselves. I don't want to keep barbs if they are going to harass the loaches all the time. The fact that loaches are nocturnal may work in their favor but these guys have started showing themselves during the daytime as they get more comfortable. I want to encourage this behavior.

Anyone with real world experience?

Thanks.

mac
01-13-2009, 01:51 AM
If you do have good plant work and rock wood caves the Loaches will be fine IMO. I have never really seen any trouble with the Tiger Barbs and Loaches before. As for a 55 gallon I would remove the fish you have bare for the Loaches and get about 15++ of the BArbs.

That is my thoughts on it.

mac

Kaga's Kritters
01-13-2009, 02:19 AM
make sure the kuhlis have lots of places to hide. I have noticed they seem to not be very hardy for some reason.......the tiger barbs could easily beat them up or stress them.

mac
01-13-2009, 02:29 AM
make sure the kuhlis have lots of places to hide. I have noticed they seem to not be very hardy for some reason.......the tiger barbs could easily beat them up or stress them.

IMO and IME I have never had a Kulie die of any problem. The only things that have killed my Kulies are Zipper Loaches.

I find they are very hardy. But they are even more hardy if you have more hiding places for them. Which a lot of people don't understand.
I also find that a lot of people house their Kulie with to big and robust bottom dwellers who are more territorial like South American Cichlids.

As for the Tiger BArbs being a pain to them I would doubt that. The BArbs tend to swim more in the middle of the tank with little to no encounters with the bottom of the tank, that often. So I see no problems with the Kulies and Tiger Barbs. And another reason is I find in the right envroment Kulies hardly ever stray from the bottom of the tank.

mac

Kaga's Kritters
01-13-2009, 02:34 AM
IMO and IME I have never had a Kulie die of any problem. The only things that have killed my Kulies are Zipper Loaches.

I find they are very hardy. But they are even more hardy if you have more hiding places for them. Which a lot of people don't understand.
I also find that a lot of people house their Kulie with to big and robust bottom dwellers who are more territorial like South American Cichlids.

maybe its the kuhlis around here or something. i have noticed most of what my lfs gets in dies within a day or two there......and i had some that seemed fine at first but they just died. I don't remember for sure what all fish i had in with them, but i know it was all community fish. Their was probably something i did wrong, just can't remember all the details to figure out what it is. I just thought since i always see dead ones at the lfs that they weren't very hardy. also this lfs mainly handles fish and they don't normally have probs with dead fish all the time or anything that would make it look like they didnt have proper care for them.

mac
01-13-2009, 02:46 AM
Maybe they were getting wild caught ones which would die more readily because of the stress, while the hatchery raised ones are better suited to traveling and moving around.

I find they don't like high pH, and they need quite a lot of oxygen in the water, along with a nice size school.

Sorry bout your loss with these fish.

mac

farrenator
01-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Current tank setup has a lot of places to hide. It has a large piece of driftwood, several large sword tail plants, anacharis, large pieces of slate stacked upon each other in the substrate and some large empty snail shells.

I may well end up getting rid of the red eye tetras but I like them so far. I'll see how the barbs do in a week or so when I get around to purchasing them. I am slowly cycling the tank and I need another 5 days or so before I introduce another batch of fish.

Another thing, I read conflicting data about how large these tiger barbs get. Some places say 3 inches, other say 2 inches. I realize the size of the tank influences things, but from someone who has a mature tiger barb: how big is it?

Brookfish
01-13-2009, 02:35 PM
Here's one of mine ...

http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp277/fishpicsmike/TIGER1.jpg

They will reach 3" not 2" but if kept in a large school (I have 11) will not
bother your other fish as they are to busy sorting out their own pecking
order, every now and then I move their tank decor around and this helps
keep aggression down as well, to be honest the only fish I would be really
wary with are long finned fish like Angels or Bettas, T-Barbs are notorious
fin nippers and long finned fish are to much of a temptation.

Northernguy
01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
I can't see a problem with the TBs as long as get enough as already stated.:22:

Great pic Mike!thumbs2:

farrenator
01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Great pic Brookfish. I have to say that your pic is one of the reasons I am looking more closely at the barbs. I used to have a tinfoil barb a long time ago that grew to a nice size. He was a sight to see.

Brookfish
01-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Great pic Brookfish. I have to say that your pic is one of the reasons I am looking more closely at the barbs. I used to have a tinfoil barb a long time ago that grew to a nice size. He was a sight to see.

Thanks farrenator, yes tinfoils are awesome in a shoal, but they need
a lot of swimming room, I had a group of 5, maybe 6 I can't remember,
but I traded them on as I needed the tank space for Cichlids.

farrenator
01-14-2009, 05:13 AM
OK, I pulled the trigger. I picked up 5 green tiger barbs (approx 1.25") and 5 small tiger barbs this afternoon and popped them in the tank with the tetras and the loaches. I'll let everyone know how it settles out in a few weeks. No bad news to report so far as far as bullying (fingers crossed).

I don't think I am imposing too much of a bioload to the tank. I'll keep a close eye on water quality in any case.

My experience in the past has been that not overcrowding the tank + good water quality + good environment (plants, hiding places etc) goes a long way to contributing to a successful tank. Lets see if it works out. If not I may have some red eye tetras to donate.

BTW, I love these frigging green barbs. Anyone know when they became available to the hobbyist? I worked in a tropical fish store for 2 years approx 16 years ago and I never heard of them before now. And of course I have been out of it until now.

Northernguy
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
I have no idea when they were introduced to the hobby but I can almost guarantee they have been around for years along with at least a few hundred that you have not heard of.
There are thousands of different fish out there that are part of the aquarium hobby that most of us have never heard of or seen before.
I'm looking forward to pics of your new additions.thumbs2:

Brookfish
01-14-2009, 05:11 PM
T-Barbs were first mentioned in 1855 I think, or sometime around that,
greens are a colour morph not a hybrid of the regular T-barb so they
are probably around a very long time to, best of luck with the new
additions, 10 is a nice group!

farrenator
01-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Everyone is getting along great. The only aggression I have seen is among the green tiger barbs. Every now and then there is a stand off between two of the green tigers. They face off for a few minutes, but heads together, nip each other on the side and then it is all over. Zero problems between the barbs and the tetras. Every now and then the loaches come out and get chased by the barbs but it seems more like barb curiosity rather than aggression towards the loaches. Since there are plenty of places to hide the loaches dart to cover in less than a second.

The green tigers seem to shoal together and the smaller tiger barbs keep to their own group (for the most part; they seem to scatter more and go exploring separately). I am extremely satisfied with the activity level in the tank.

I must say the barbs are voracious eaters. Feeding time is a frenzy, and the tetras have learned to take part as well. Good times.