PDA

View Full Version : Help

Sorceress
01-05-2009, 08:23 PM
one of my ghost shrimp is not very active got it i think two months ago it not moving that much and it's arms are all splayed :confused:

Algenco
01-06-2009, 02:44 AM
sounds as though it's about to give up the ghost, probably old age

Red
01-06-2009, 02:52 AM
i agree with algenco, ghost shrimp dont live that long and you gave him a great life..

Sorceress
01-06-2009, 06:56 AM
hmm that not good as i have few algae crew (three ghost shrimp) and the guy at the pet store said he wouldn't last in my tank due to it not being planted could it maybe molting? these guys where not very big when i got em

korith
01-06-2009, 07:33 AM
hmm that not good as i have few algae crew (three ghost shrimp) and the guy at the pet store said he wouldn't last in my tank due to it not being planted could it maybe molting? these guys where not very big when i got em

When they molt they usually go into hiding if they can, they are very vulnerable at that point. I think from my original batch of 20 ghost shrimp, only a few are left. Old age, or get picked/fed on by fish, some just never acclimate well to the tank. A lot of ghost shrimp are sold as feeders, so there is a good chance they were never raised in a good environment.

Sorceress
01-06-2009, 05:18 PM
ok thanks will just keep an eye on the shrimp and when the shrimp not moving around will remove the carcass unles you think is should stay for the other shrimp

korith
01-06-2009, 07:58 PM
ok thanks will just keep an eye on the shrimp and when the shrimp not moving around will remove the carcass unles you think is should stay for the other shrimp

Well the shrimp are scavengers, so they will most likely start to feed off the dead one. Also some fish may as well. You can remove the dead one if you wish.

Ellen4God
01-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Ghost shrimp unfortunately aren't really meant to last a long time, I'm afraid. I would get some ocassionally, and they would always die off after a few months. They're very sensitive to amonia spikes, so if something is going on with the levels in your tank, that could cause something as well.

Luckily, they aren't too expensive to buy. I always tried to keep a little crew in my tank for entertainment. :)

Sorceress
01-07-2009, 06:27 AM
well i check tank this afternoon and he was dead and the white clouds and the other shimp ignoring the carcass so took the dead one out tho now that i have the algae wafers for the shrimp the white clouds are eating em before they hit the bottom and ignoring there food in the feeding ring :sconfused:

korith
01-07-2009, 07:28 AM
well i check tank this afternoon and he was dead and the white clouds and the other shimp ignoring the carcass so took the dead one out tho now that i have the algae wafers for the shrimp the white clouds are eating em before they hit the bottom and ignoring there food in the feeding ring :sconfused:

A lot of the fish go after the algae wafers when I drop them into the tank too, a quick peck and most ignore them and go back to whatever they were doing. I think really I could drop anything into the tank and they all swarm it.

Oh the algae wafers you are using, do they contain any sort of copper in them? They usually aren't good for any sort of invertebrate. I ended up switching to hikari algae wafers when I found the brand I was using had copper in it.

Like ellen said, they just aren't meant to live too long. You could try to find a place that sells feeder ghost shrimp cheaper, around here it's easy to find places that sell them 10-12 for a $1.

Sorceress
01-07-2009, 07:41 PM
the algae flakes i bought are tetra algae vegetable enhanced crisps and now another shrimp is getting that splayed look will google the crisps

oh the richmond bc pet store said is was ok for shrimp as i asked for shrimp food

rageybug
01-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Chances are a shrimp that has it's legs splayed out and isn't moving is a dead shrimp. Do you have any fuzzy fish that seem to just float at the top of the tank and don't move? They may be dead too!

rageybug
01-07-2009, 07:47 PM
By the way... I'm just kidding!

Sorceress
01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
well it one of the big one that died yesterday and the other one that doing the same is another big shrimp and the littler one has come out of hiding

unfortunately i have a sick car cannot go anywhere plus if my car wasn't sick couldn't get int the pet store south of me due to wide spread flooding

Oh darn it forgot to mention did redecorating and but in geosystem substrate as i had larger rocks and i figured the smaller substrate would help the shrimp

Sorceress
01-08-2009, 04:09 AM
ok finally got around to reading the algae food no cooper but it did have ethoxyquin as an ingredient is that harmfull to shrimp

korith
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
ok finally got around to reading the algae food no cooper but it did have ethoxyquin as an ingredient is that harmfull to shrimp

Saw the flooding in your area on the news earlier tonight, odd that is happening so early in the year.

I have no idea on that ethoxyquin, so I looked it up and was surprised that a lot of fish food contains it. Will have to read up on it.

Sorceress
01-08-2009, 06:31 PM
well i have only one shrimp left and no site of it right now so don't know if dead or alive but the die off started right around the time i got the blasted food

concerning the flooding
The New reports say I 5 in chehalis could be closed for days that would be so bad but alls the eastbound routes over the passes are closed due to avalanche and mudslide danger one town near tacoma had to be evacuated it's a mess so far i have not been affected but cannot go anywhere as else where it is flooded

Sorceress
01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
update:

ok found the littlest shrimp he was hanging out on the mini heater munching on the algae there so he look fine so far but i think he never got any of the algae crisps as maybe the two bigger shrimp got to it first but will keep eye on em

annageckos
01-24-2009, 09:19 PM

It is not good for any living animal. They use it in a lot of animal foods, but the better brands don't usally.

Anna