PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Ill Beta? Any help :(

chickadee
01-30-2007, 09:34 PM
I've had my beta for about 4 years now. He's always very active and sleeps in the oddest ways. So the last few days when I noticed him sleeping straight up, I didn't think much of it.... But now its been almost a week and he's in the same exact position. He moves around from left to right and top to bottom of the tank, but pointing straight up like a sinking ship hasn't changed. I've also noticed the water is getting dirty a lot more frequently. I just changed it last week, and it's already all murky again. There was a lot of white stuff floating at the top of the tank last time, which I've never really had before. He's always kept a pretty clean tank.

As far as food, I've been giving him the same foods pretty much until about a week and a half ago when I changed brands. I give him beta bites (the small pellets) and occasionally as a treat go with freeze dried bloodworms. I used to use Hardley, but recently saw Animal Planet came out with a betta food and I tried using that.

I can't tell if its old age, if he's dying of an illness, or if changing his food has caused this problem. It could just be a coincidence that he was getting sick just as i started trying a new food. Might not be :( Doesn't account tho much for the reason the tanks been getting so dirty. I also notice a lot of the food sitting at the bottom, which is uncommon for my fish.

I'm posting a picture of what he looks like.... maybe someone can give me and idea of whats wrong and how to fix my buddy :'( The water looks murky in the picture. It looks worse then it really is, but it isn't perfect. As I said, I just changed it last week. I'm afraid to try changing it again. I don't know if it'll help or hurt him.

Any help is appreciated

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/5ce5c13c9a.jpg

Nautilus291
01-30-2007, 09:40 PM
sorry I dont have an answer to your question Ive never had a betta before. But that looks really wierd.

sergo
01-30-2007, 09:57 PM
wow, 4 years old!? unfortunately it's probably old age. i had one die of old age and all of a sudden starting acting weird too.

Glasstapper
01-30-2007, 10:03 PM
holy huge picture, batman! LOL

Unfortunately, your little friend is very very old. If most of the food is sitting on the bottom, then that may be what's clouding your water, and not a result of his new behavior.

I'm sorry, but he's close to his end, most likely.

Glasstapper
01-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm sorry, my previous post probably wasn't very helpful for you. Water changes are never a bad idea. If possible, try and give him small water changes every few days or when the water starts to murk up again. It's hard to diagnose if he has an actual disease or parasite, so I wouldn't throw any meds at him. If you know for sure that he liked his old food, try putting him back on it and see if his behavior changes.

cocoa_pleco
01-30-2007, 10:53 PM
sorry to say this, but if he doesnt get better youre gonna have to euthuanise him.

Try choppin him in half or putin him in the freezer. or you can throw him in a bucket of snow or ice.

He had a long good life, cause the average life of a betta is 3 years

But, dont give up and keep his water REALLY clean and try meds if anything obvious comes

AquaQueen
01-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Sorry to hear about your Buddy...Best of Luck with him!

Betta_noob
01-31-2007, 03:59 AM
sorry to say this, but if he doesnt get better youre gonna have to euthuanise him.

Try choppin him in half or putin him in the freezer. or you can throw him in a bucket of snow or ice.

He had a long good life, cause the average life of a betta is 3 years

But, dont give up and keep his water REALLY clean and try meds if anything obvious comes

Just for the record the freezing him thing is cruel it won't be instantaneous.

cocoa_pleco
01-31-2007, 04:04 AM
really? i heard freezing is humane.

Betta_noob
01-31-2007, 04:08 AM
At the betta board I visit (mostly bettas as opposed to other fish) there have been plenty of times when the fish was still alive even an hour or so later.
I mean your freezer has to be freaking cold.
Think about it, say you put them in a cup and fill it with water and put it in the freezer.
Their gills start to freeze with ice crystals first before they die.

AquaQueen
01-31-2007, 04:14 AM
I almost forgot if you really want to.... most "Major" pet stores carry a med to euthanise your fish humanely. you can go to Drsfostersmith.com and search the word euthanase and that is the product that I am talking about you can buy it online if you wanted or ask you LPS.

cocoa_pleco
01-31-2007, 04:50 AM
i use the clove oil n vodka trick. super humane

sergo
01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
my opinion is that there is no real way to kill something humanely (sp). how can you take the life of something easily? you can't.

Betta_noob
01-31-2007, 04:42 PM
Last time I took my ill fish into petco because I work there and I knew they'd do it for me, they euthinized him for me.
I'm sure if you ask they would help you out.