PDA

View Full Version : Silver Tip Shark

JTull89
12-23-2008, 04:58 AM
I just found this site today so Im new here. Anyway, a few days ago I got a small 2 inch silver tip shark that was living in a 5 gallon tank, from a friend. After bringing the lil guy home I decided to do some research on him. I found that they can grow to be 10-12 inches and live in brackish water. My friend kept him in fresh water. Right now he is in my 29 gal freshwater tank with a few other fish who will not tolerate brackish conditions. My question is, should he be fine in this tank until I am able to buy and setup a brackish tank for him, which will be in the next month, and what is the easiest way to maintain brackish water conditions?

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2008, 12:42 PM
SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!! You can not keep him either. They can grow much larger than you have stated and even at 1/4th that size, your tank is too small for him.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/catfish/sharkcat.php

William
12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
A 29 gallon tank ismuch better for it than a 5 gallon even if it too is too small. But you know that: Ideal would be if you could find him another home in a large brackish aquarium as soon as possible. If that isn't possible it will manage in your freshwater tank for the time period you mention as long as you keep the water quality high.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I just found this site today so Im new here. Anyway, a few days ago I got a small 2 inch silver tip shark that was living in a 5 gallon tank, from a friend. After bringing the lil guy home I decided to do some research on him. I found that they can grow to be 10-12 inches and live in brackish water. My friend kept him in fresh water. Right now he is in my 29 gal freshwater tank with a few other fish who will not tolerate brackish conditions. My question is, should he be fine in this tank until I am able to buy and setup a brackish tank for him, which will be in the next month, and what is the easiest way to maintain brackish water conditions?

Welcome to the site. First of all, kudos to you for doing the research and wanting to do right by your fish. You are quite correct in that the fish does need brackish and a much larger tank. You should be able to keep your fish in the 29 for a month while you get a new tank setup. I would suggest you start with at least a 75gal as that will be fine for a while but you will eventually want a 125-180gal tank. Brackish is not too difficult to setup. You will want a hydrometer or a refractometer to measure the specific gravity. Marine salt is best as it contains the proper minerals and should be maintained at a level of about 1.001-1.019. That is the range for brackish. You would suggest that you keep it at about 1.010 to start and as the fish grows you will need to increase it. These fish actually require more salt as they grow, they end up moving into a full marine environment when they are full grown.

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2008, 04:48 PM
I forgot something and that was to say Welcome to AC! Re-reading this thread, I had neglected to notice this had been your very first post.

You did a very nice thing by rescuing that fish from that little 5 gallon. Right now he probably thinks he's in heaven in that 29 gallon. Perhaps you can find a nice big home for him before long.

Good luck to you.

JTull89
12-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Wow and here I am thinking I would just buy a 55 gal set it up for brackish and he would be good for life. I know I do not have the room or money for a 125+ gallon tank. Should I see if a lfs will take him?

Lady Hobbs
12-23-2008, 06:51 PM
You could try it and perhaps they will give you a credit towards something else. That would be nice, huh?

William
12-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Sounds like a good idea.

JTull89
12-24-2008, 04:18 AM
As much as I'd hate to give him up, hes so fun to watch but, I'm going to call my lfs tomorrow and see if they will take him since I wont be able to give him what he needs.

Jeffbdd
01-24-2009, 03:07 AM
Just curious, How long will it take for that fish to grow even 2 7 inches, my guess is a couple years. i dont think a 55 will hurt. i noticed people here can take a .5 inch fish that get to 20 inches and want it started in a 150 gal. Most people where i live buy fish and when it hits the limit for tank trade it in for someone with much bigger tank to buy.

Northernguy
01-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Its always best to buy the fish for the right sized tank.
Too many people get stuck with a fish because the fish stores will not take them back.For some reason there is always something stopping them from getting that bigger tank and its always unforseen circumstances!
Just my 2 cents!

Jeffbdd
01-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Must be where i am lucky. Around here we have bout 4 stores that will take the fish back cuz they just jack up the price and someone always cums and buys them. There are the few that they wont take but its all about the demand.

Northernguy
01-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I guess a lot of us look at it differently!
I would never get a fish (or any other pet ) that I could not keep and raise for its life!I see it like getting a dog and giving it away when it doesn't look like a puppy anymore!
Please do not take offense but this is how I look at it.

Shark Tails
01-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Don't worry, you'll know when to upsize your tank. I have all different size tanks, I started my sharks off in a ten gallon, 7 sharks, fresh water,
I moved them in to a twenty gallon and changed their water to a medium high salt content, they pee twenty times more a day in fresh water. (You should change them to salt in a small tank about 1 teaspoon of instant ocean per gal to start.) after a while they'll seem to just kinda sit, thats when you'll need to move them up like I did.
Now theyre in a 30 gallon and loving it, they have a sand bottom and live rock throuhout the middle. I still have a 70 gln waiting to be used. and one 45g that my wife has taken over. NOW REMEMBER. when I set up my 70 gallon it will weigh a minimum of 950 lbs or 432 Kgs so in my living room as it is without the 70 gln I have aproximately 1300. lbs so when I set up my 70 and take down the 30 I'll support my floor again. You'll do fine just whatch them for signs of agression, depresion or sudden shine specals. P.S. I also work in a pet store and not every thing is by the book. my small sharks attacked my 8 inch pleco do not advise pleco in tank with theses guys. P.S. this is my personal experience.

Shark Tails
01-05-2010, 03:26 AM
I find tanks all the time for cheap and no leaks. I recently picked up a 80 gln and a 50 gln as back up tanks for $100.00 dollars one tank came with full canopy and 100gln filter, powerhead stands for both and lights. I'll see if my buddy still has his 120 gln tank with set up for a $100. and I'll let you know back here on the site.