PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify my new Loach please?

kes
01-27-2007, 08:14 PM
I got three gorgeous loaches from Maidenhead Aquatics in England.. truly the most amazing selection of loaches!

Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of one of them. They were so helpful there and the bloke picked out three that will grow to about the same size and should shoal nicely together.

I have a Botia Striata and a Botia Histronica (which, btw, is really really shy - is this normal?) and this is the last one:

He told me it was an unusual variegation of that species of loach..I keep thinking it may be a rostrata but I'm just not sure? He's wicked, whatever he is! Him and the Striata just go everywhere together.. I've named them Beavis and Butthead cos they don't seem too bright! :hmm3grin2orange:

Myrrhlyn
01-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Could be a botia kubotai, Common names are Burmese Border Loach, Polka Dot Loach or Marble Loach. I have one and plan on getting another to keep it company. Kubotais are known to have a large variation in patterning, both between individuals of the same species, and within a single individual over it's lifetime. Check out the web for pictures and see if they seem to match up. Good luck!

kes
01-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks Myrrhlyn!

I did have a look at the Kubotai but couldn't decide.. whatever he is he's very beautiful :thumb:

kimmers318
01-28-2007, 05:47 AM
I have heard wonderful things about maidenhead aquatics so maybe stop back in and ask them. They seem to really know and care for their fish, and since most loaches like company chances are it is a variation of one of the other 2.

AuroraAustralis
01-28-2007, 07:23 AM
I have one of those. A friend was pulling his tank down and that was the only fish he had left. I don't know what it's called tho, all he told me was that it was a loach from pakistan. I wasn't really bothered with what he was at the time because I didn't expect him to live (especially on his own) but live he has.. lol he's thriving in fact. Does a bang up job of cleaning up uneaten black worms but drives me batty with the digging up of plants. He has never shown any signs of aggression, even to very small fish. Mine is 4" (10cm) long now, about twice the size he was when I got him. He reminds me of a seal for some reason.. lol

Glasstapper
01-28-2007, 07:33 AM
.. whatever he is he's very beautiful :thumb:

I'm going to second that. Very beautiful, indeed.

kes
01-28-2007, 12:18 PM
I have heard wonderful things about maidenhead aquatics so maybe stop back in and ask them. They seem to really know and care for their fish, and since most loaches like company chances are it is a variation of one of the other 2.

Kimmers you're not wrong... I thought I'd died and gone to fish heaven!! They particularly love their loaches as Emma who owns Maidenhead is Loach crazy apparently! If you've ever been on Loaches online, you'll see she has a lot of articles about them.

I had hoped that getting the three loaches would have encouraged them to shoal together but so far the Histrionicus hasn't ventured too far out from behind his rock. I hope with time he'll become a little more adventurous.

kimmers318
01-28-2007, 04:42 PM
I frequently check out loaches.com and drool over Marge! I would LOVE to have a shop like that around here.

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2007, 04:49 PM
That Marge is something else, isn't she? I would love to hear more about her size as she is one huge loach. I also wonder if she was caught in the wild at a large size. I can hardly believe she started her life in an aquarium. She is one big old baby factory, for sure.

Old girl is famous and doesn't know it!

Luckily for me, their size is more stunted in aquariums because I don't want all 7 of mine to look like this. LOL

Lady Hobbs
01-28-2007, 04:53 PM
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/resolveuid/95f1a60b955a1fc1163642635233f0fc/image_medium

Willyleigh
02-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I have just been to my local aquatics store, and I saw those loaches and was very impressed by them, They were called Bengal loaches and had I not been on my bike I would have bought one.

rsretep
08-13-2007, 11:31 PM
:ezpi_wink1: have to say i think that might be an angelicus

calla
08-19-2007, 02:13 PM
I think it's a chainfish. Botia Lohachata.

here's the first page of a google image search.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Botia+Lohachata&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2