PDA

View Full Version : Never thought this would be a problem ???

lovleeko
12-16-2008, 01:10 AM
I just moved four gold barbs to a bigger tank and they are going all crazy on my bleeding hearts!! They have always been great tank mates to everyone. Even bettas. Any thoughts??

mac
12-16-2008, 02:57 AM
I just moved four gold barbs to a bigger tank and they are going all crazy on my bleeding hearts!! They have always been great tank mates to everyone. Even bettas. Any thoughts??

IMO I think it is like a show of force to the other fish. Just showing they are boss. If they don't settle down I would remove them if you can.

mac

lovleeko
12-16-2008, 04:04 AM
I think you could be right. They aren't really doing it now. Boy they are more active in the bigger tank. They never stop. !!!!

lovleeko
12-16-2008, 04:44 AM
take it back. They are still bothering them a bit. When the bleeding hearts happen to cross paths with them a gold barb will chase them.

Lady Hobbs
12-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Barbs just might be spawning, too.

Sharon
12-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Maybe because it's a bigger tank, they need a bigger school.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-16-2008, 03:04 PM
That is extremely odd. Gold Barbs are the most passive Barb along with Cherry Barbs. I would suspect that it is simply a new environment and thus a new territory. I expect it will eventually calm down with no long term problems for your Tetras.

lovleeko
12-16-2008, 08:19 PM
REally? I wouldn't think they would be aggressive during spawning. You could be right sharon. I was thinking of getting more anyway. They bring so much activity to the tank. They have always been quite nice. Even with bettas. They seem to have calmed down today. I hope it last.

mac
12-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Yes it dose sound more like a new territory issue.

IMO I think it will clam down after some time.

mac

cer
12-19-2008, 10:20 PM
They need a bigger school!

ILuvMyGoldBarb
12-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Cer, I'd recommend you read up on these fish. A bigger school is not the solution to this problem right now.

lovleeko
12-20-2008, 05:14 AM
They seem to be getting along great now. YAY!!! No problems anymore. Maybe it was a territory thing IDK. I'm glad they are getting along. I really didn't plan on getting more of them and probably wont now that they are doing well again.

mac
12-21-2008, 12:05 AM
Hi,
Great news things have sorted them selves out right.

mac

cer
12-27-2008, 01:41 PM
My barbs just do not like certain colored fish. They are green tiger barbs and they hate silver fish. They will chase the bleeding hearts for a month atleast. But do not worry they only like to chase them not to nip at them.

copper_eos
01-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Barbs are known for liking to chase other fish around. I have a long-finned Rosy Barb that likes to chase all the little fish around. I have taken the little fish out for right now until I get a big enough school going. Otherwise the little guys get harassed too much. They do sometimes go through a fighting phase when they are first added to the tank though but with mine it only lasted a day.