PDA

View Full Version : Shark in 40 gallon?

fishysoul
01-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi,

My sons are wanting me to add a shark to my tank and I was wondering if anyone can give me a recommendation or let me know if it's a good idea.

I currently have a 40 gallon long tank with:

2 Gold Barbs
2 Dwarf Gouramis, (sunset; powder blue)
2 Albino Cories,
2 Algae eaters,
6 Platies,
5 Rummy-nosed tetras,
4 male guppies,

I don't have room to buy a bigger tank (unless I ship hubby out) so is my 40 gal big enough or is it already to capacity?

Thanks.
Karen

fishysoul
01-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Sorry, meant to put this in the General Aquarium Forum. When I figure out how to delete this or move it, I will put it in the right place.

Thanks.

Slinky_Bass
01-26-2007, 11:10 PM
No problem Fishysoul (one of our mods will move it to the relevant forum), hi and welcome BTW :D
What kind of shark are you talking about?

fishysoul
01-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks Slinky_Bass.. I don't know what kind of shark...something that stays little and non-agressive..:-) Hoping for suggestions.

Slinky_Bass
01-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Hmmm, well, I personally have no experience with shark type fishies, but there are a couple of members with different types of sharks. I know Hobbs HAD bala sharks, but I think she re-homed them cause they got too big for her 50 gal (please correct me if I'm wrong Hobbs). And I've seen talk on red finned sharks and such.

I'm sure the others will be along soon with some good advice, in the mean time I'll have a look on the net and see what I can find.

jeffs99dime
01-26-2007, 11:58 PM
if you are referring to a bala shark then no, a 40 gallon is too small for them

Incredulous_Ed
01-27-2007, 01:07 AM
A bala shark, silver shark, iridescent shark, and columbian shark are all unsuitable for you tank. They either ggrow to big or need brackish water. You could put a rainbow shark or red fin shark in there, but they are a little aggresive, so only keep one

cocoa_pleco
01-27-2007, 01:17 AM
yeah. balas and SD's need to school in a group of 6 or more.

fishysoul
01-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. So balas are out and I will see what I can find out about red tail sharks and rainbow sharks on the internet.

Incredulous_Ed
01-27-2007, 04:52 AM
I would reccommend a rainbow shark of the two because tey are less aggresive and have more color