PDA

View Full Version : Help i think my yoyo loach is sick

artemisblossom
12-07-2008, 01:39 AM
I came home tonight to find one of my yoyo loaches acting different than normal. He is trying to lay on his side on a piece of driftwood and I see him laying on his side on the gravel also. I read that they do lay on their sides but I have never seen him do this before and his stripes have dulled to a medium grey. I notice he seems to be "yawning" often as well. I checked the water and the ammonia is o, nitrite is o nitrate is 5 < 10 and temp is 79.3 . he doesn' seem interested in food either. The only thing I did differently in the last few days was to give them a little treat of frozen krill last night chopped very small. Everyone else in the tank seems to be doing fine..........any idea on what is happening to him?

Sharon
12-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I don't have YoYos but when I had Clowns, they'd love to upset me by laying on their sides. Loaches just do that!!! Keep an eye on him, but I think it's normal. If he's yawning, he's probably just tired!:hmm3grin2orange:

Wild Turkey
12-07-2008, 02:05 AM
Internal parasites are a possibility, but its hard to take a real guess with the info. I would observe him closely and look for other signs, it may be normal behavior, but if hes not accepting food and loosing color, that hints at something more

smaug
12-07-2008, 02:31 AM
I have yoyos myself,I have never observed them laying on there sides or losing any color,the yawning is common with mine though.It does sound like there is something wrong with yours,but what I do not know.

digital3
12-07-2008, 03:06 AM
I have seen mine lay on their sides, and I have sen their colors dull up. But then the next morning the colors were back to normal. It happened for me after a water change, and the water temp got cold. Has there been a change in your water temperature?

artemisblossom
12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
well the water has dropped about a degree in temp would they be that sensitive? The loach seems fine today but his colors still seem washed out. Thanks for the imput everyone, I will keep an eye on him

cer
12-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Maybe they are stressed.

artemisblossom
12-08-2008, 01:21 AM
the other one hasn't lost his vibrabt colors, maybe this one is stressed but I don't know what would be causing it, he is not being bullied or anything

abaigael04
12-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Is there enough flow in the tank? If he is "yawning" perhaps it is from low oxygen? My clowns lie on their sides, too and that is normal for them but if he is stressed and not eating...

mac
12-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi,
I have found this to happen with one of my Golden Zebra Loaches. It would just keel over. Then after about 5 minuets straiten up. And be back to normal.

to me I think it must be that they are just in a lazy mood. But what I find really strange is it is only one that dose it. And it has not quite got the same color as the others. Yet is is still just as active.

mac