PDA

View Full Version : Sword in 10 gallon w/ 1.5 watts per gallon?

Sir Tristen
12-04-2008, 07:08 PM
The title says it all. I want to find a better plant for my 10 gallon than the hornwort that just seems to make a mess and grow like hud, and I am wondering what to put in. I'd like a sword, but I'm not sure if it would make it. My wisteria may not make it (I recently moved it from a 20 with less than 1 wpg), and I'm just looking for something sharp. I've a pic of the tank in my sig for reference. My java ferns (thanks again bushwhacker) are doing fine and have various daughter plants growing. The java moss is doing well too. The couple stocks of anachris I have in will eventually grow, but in the meantime I would like something for the left side to replace the hornwort as a background plant.

TheSilverSlayer
04-06-2009, 04:44 AM
chances are the sword would live in your tank but it would probably not thrive. I have three small swords in a 10gal now, with 1.5WPG and they have recently sent up some new small leaves.

MCHRKiller
04-06-2009, 05:09 AM
That isnt a bad lighting for a 10G...the main thing is providing the sword with nutrients. Sword plants are heavy root feeders some Flourish tabs and a small box of laterite mixed into your substrate would do well for the swords. The reason I suggest the laterite is due to a sword plants higher demand for iron than alot of other species of plants it naturally provides iron at the roots, plus it just generally perks up your regular substrate for good plant growth.

troy
04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
i would say yes as long as they get good ferts. I have swords growing slowly in my 10g under 2wpg with no special substrate and not much ferts added.

Algenco
04-06-2009, 07:46 PM
They would be ok as long as you don't expect spectular growth.
I have some bleheri swords that will grow to 25"+ in a 10g w/24w, soil/sand substrate ,they are over 18 months old and still haven't reached the surface

DrNic
04-07-2009, 03:23 AM
I think the plant would do pretty well.

In general I've found that almost all plants grow better in 10G tanks. 10G tanks are one of the shallowest tanks out there. Even with really bright lights a deep tank, like a 29G or 55G might have a significantly reduced amount of light getting to the bottom. Shallow tanks, like 10G, don't have this problem as much. A lot of the plant people that I know use 10G tanks as far tanks for this reason. I had a 10G farm tank myself until a few months ago.

korith
04-07-2009, 06:55 AM
I have an amazon sword in a 10g, I replaced the stock bulbs, with fluorescent bulbs. The first few months it was in the tank it didn't do that well, looked like it was slowly dying. Then eventually it took off and has been getting good growth and new leaves. May want to gravel vac less in the area your sword is in, so the roots have something to nourish them. Also I been adding a fertilizer tab about once a month.

Just give it some time for the roots to set in and see what happens.

PostalPenguin
04-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I have an amazon sword in my 10g under 28W of CF and the thing is exploding, its been in my tank a month and is already growing out the top. A new leaf appears about every other to every third day and I fertilize once a week. I am not sure if 15W will show great growth but if it seems to be dying you could always up the wattage.

CAF
04-08-2009, 12:42 AM
:14:
First off swords are rosette plants not stems...

Secondly most swords will overgrow a 10g. That being said, 1.5 WPG is a little low for swords, they prefer 2.5 to 3.0 WPG with lots of root feeding. Double check the type of sword you got. If its a "Brazilian Sword" it is a bog plant and will die if kept fully immersed.

Good Luck.:22: