PDA

View Full Version : Clown Loach Owners

Fishalicious
12-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I have allllllllllways wanted some but never found that I had a tank big enough.. I even don't find my 150 Gallon large enough for them but I really am tempted - thanks to you lot with your wonderful stories and Angelcakes video

I have read all the info there is to find on them and it doesn't seem like a good choice...

They love a strong current and oxygenated water - I run CO2 and keep the oxygenation to a minimum.

They are night animals - don't want them keeping my other fish up at night

They root up plants and nibble on soft plants - I have a heavy planted set up

Another thing to ponder is all the other fish in the tank are South American with the exception of the Algae Eaters.

Inhabitants are - 20 rummynose, 10 diamond tetra, 2 Angels, 3 Keyhole Cichlids, 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 Apistogramma, 4 SAE's and 1 Panaque Maccus in 150 Gallons. So I guess I do have enough room for I reckon 6 clowns.

What are your personal experiences with them? Do you think they could be happy in my setup? Do they wreck the plants badly?

Lady Hobbs
12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Another tank perhaps? LOL

You did forget one thing. Trying to catch a loach in a planted tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishalicious
12-03-2008, 10:46 PM
So that's a no no from Hobbs :c3: Guess I will just have to wait another 10 years once these guys are all passed on and then maybe start a species tank in the tank....

Brookfish
12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
I totally love my clowns, i'm always swopping and trading other fish
but never my clowns, they are the most active entertaining fish I have,
active throughout the day (not just nocternal) it would take them
a long, long time to out grow your 150g Jess as they are very
slow growing, but you are right about the plants they will mow their
way through them like you wouldn't believe, I tried some nice plants
with them once, they were gone in a week.
make sure and try them one day though, you'll love them.

William
12-04-2008, 12:09 AM
I think I would advice against it as well. The loaches would likely do well but you might end up with a lot of uproted plants and plants with small holes in them. (some specimens never thouch plants).

I think Yoyo botia (fantastic fish. I prefer these over clowns) or dwarf botia would be better for that tank.

Brookfish
12-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Have you thought about Polka Dots? a small group would be
awesome in that set up.

LORENZO
12-04-2008, 12:26 AM
(zfish) Clowns! What is to be said. In the hobby they are like the Angel fish. I have seven and they are slowly getting bigger. But oh my poor swords. the tank is planted in. But today well holes and I thought the siamese which are big ate them. i will just thin the swords and keep planting. Those Clowns are stunning in a school - that is something to behold. Lady Hobbs Fishaliscioius has to keep a clown well three clowns at the very least. They have personality those clowns. Just beautiful fish! Very delicate when first coming into your tank but once settled hardy little things they are. Clowns are one of the special fish you know.... and outstanding fish in the home aquarium. Beholding a sight of clowns schooling is like seeing the kribensis with its fry in the nest. You can't be without a school of clowns to wake up to.

Sharon
12-04-2008, 01:08 AM
I agree!!! Clowns are special fish. If I had a very large tank, I wouldn't miss having them....

Demjor19
12-04-2008, 04:00 AM
A 150 is way more than enough for a nice size schoal of Clowns. These fish grow incredibly slow...not to mention I have never seen one in person over 8" long and have only ever heard of a handful that were 12+ inches...although they do exist. I have several that are 2 or 3 years old and a whopping 3" long.

On the other hand...If you like your plants it may not be a great idea anyway. You have the space for them, but you have to weigh all of the pros and cons. They are some of my favorite fish though!

Fishalicious
12-04-2008, 09:20 AM
I guess no Clowns for me yet then <sobs>

For them due to the low oxygen and for me due to the plants LOL

Maybe in a few years time or another large tank....

Dave66
12-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Try B. dario, fishalicious. Top out at six inches, develop this deep yellow-green color when they reach sexual maturity. They will turn your head away from the clown loaches. Besides, the common name is Queen loaches. Perfect for you :)
And I had six clown loaches that were between 14 and 16 inches long. It took them five or six years to get there, but get there they did. Of course, I have tanks large enough they could grow to their adult lengths.

Dave

Fishalicious
12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Oooh the Botia Dario are beautiful as well....

I think I will really have to pass this time... as all the other fish are South American and very laid back relaxed fish in swimming style I am not sure how kindly they would take to a group of hyper loaches :c2:

Dave66
12-04-2008, 09:48 AM
They are a lot like Corys in that respect. The loaches do play in currents, and roll and tumble a bit, but like furry kitty cats, they get tired and take a snooze. They are most active in the mornings and evenings, but have to have their siesta during the day.

I keep striata, histeronica and lecontei loaches as well in my tanks.

Dave

AquaBANG
12-04-2008, 09:51 AM
I know at least one person who has at least a couple clowns in a 120G planted tank and they shoal with his green tiger barbs. So thats one thumbs up for your Jess.

LORENZO
12-04-2008, 10:48 AM
:1: Don't overdo it Fishalicious I think you have enough. With those other cichlids and 4 siamese eaters they do need the room you know. My 125 is a bit on the small side for them if i wanted to be picky. They swim fast and love going up and down. But maybe you don't have plecs. And believe me the plants -they CHEW. I live with it but I am just telling you they are very active and they do chew and you will be replanting -I live with it. Get that other tank you were going to get. ha get a 240. Do you know of anyone on the forum with a 240 I would like to have the dimensions to that tank. Speedy little fish they are. Schooling keeps them destressed and they are highly social. but I do not have those Cichlids and i have no idea how aggressive they might be. I have been told they are. Now the siamese will reach there 4-5 inches in not time. But get a bigger tank! YOU won't regret that. I would love to have a loach tank. I might have a 75 heading this way to day. Breeding discus i am going to go for it!

Fishalicious
12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't think my 150 gallon is fully stocked.... I know folks who keep A LOT more in a tank that size. The cichlids I have are little angels and wouldn't say boo to a fly except for the breeding Angel fish Couple....nothing a loach couldn't handle. I do have a plec - the Panaque Maccus but he prefers his wood to my plants. My 4 Siamese are adult...but really chilled... they like to hang out on the backing wall and don't really swim that much.

No I will definately wait now... just wanted to see what you guys thought... I do have a 75 Gallon empty at the moment so maybe one of the smaller loaches for that tank...

LORENZO
12-04-2008, 11:15 AM
go for a longer tank! oh yes. PUt the loaches is as long a tank you can get. I don't even think the 125 is long enough. I am worried my seven clowns will out grow it. You say you have 20 rummies wow. I did have around 12 but i must restock I now only have 3. Have to improve on that. IF i had the room i would be nuts enought to put those clowns in a bigger tank. oh and the 125 for the discus is getting too small. What did you call those cichlids -those little angels-so yours are not aggressive??? I have to get down to two angels from 6 now. Have taken care of one of them back he went to the local fish guy here. I hope he gets a good home. Get those clowns a TANK!

Fishalicious
12-04-2008, 12:16 PM
My peaceful angel cichlids are the Keyhole Cichlid - Cleithracara maronii and Bolivian Rams - the really are very very peaceful

Demjor19
12-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Try B. dario, fishalicious. Top out at six inches, develop this deep yellow-green color when they reach sexual maturity. They will turn your head away from the clown loaches. Besides, the common name is Queen loaches. Perfect for you :)
And I had six clown loaches that were between 14 and 16 inches long. It took them five or six years to get there, but get there they did. Of course, I have tanks large enough they could grow to their adult lengths.

Dave

Pics? I have been keeping Clowns for a long time and would love to see some monsters. What size tank were they raised in?

Northernguy
12-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Pics? I have been keeping Clowns for a long time and would love to see some monsters. What size tank were they raised in?

These have nothing to do with Daves but Hobbs turned me on to this site if you want to see an almost 12" loache.http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus
I thought it was kinda cool!

Colin
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM

Dave

come on Dave lets see photo's of these beuties, where are they now?

LORENZO
12-04-2008, 05:46 PM
COLIN HOW BIG WAS THAT tank you said the clowns could go in??? They really reached that in captivity. What a good clown keep you must have been. But wow they reached that big that soon. oh i will have trouble. You must have had a tank bigger than 180?

Colin
12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
COLIN HOW BIG WAS THAT tank you said the clowns could go in??? They really reached that in captivity. What a good clown keep you must have been. But wow they reached that big that soon. oh i will have trouble. You must have had a tank bigger than 180?

Pardon?? I think you have miss understood.
Dave66 had the beasts. lol not me, I would just like to see some photos of Dave66's fish.
I find it staggering that DAVE66 managed to get some clowns to 16" long and after only 6 years. I am wondering "whats his secret" cos I want to know :18:

Demjor19
12-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Pardon?? I think you have miss understood.
Dave66 had the beasts. lol not me, I would just like to see some photos of Dave66's fish.
I find it staggering that DAVE66 managed to get some clowns to 16" long and after only 6 years. I am wondering "whats his secret" cos I want to know :18:

Loach steroids!

I know a lot of people who have a ton of Loaches and nobody has seen such a growth rate in these fish. I would really like to see some pics/vids of these fish and how they were kept...tank size, w/c shedule, filtration, diet, tankmates, etc...

Dave66
12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
The loaches were kept in a 350 gallon aquarium, 8x3 footprint. They were fed primarily live food; earthworms, California black worms, Gammarius species shrimp, white shrimp and apple snails. Vegetables like blanched zucchini, peeled and cored apples, and fresh cucumber addressed their need for plant debris, green algae on stones, the need for aufwuchs.

Filtration was provided by five Fluval canisters and a reverse-daylight planted sump. Water changes were 40 percent weekly.

They were donated to the public aquarium in Saint Louis in '89 or '90 because I wanted to do other things with that aquarium.

Found it funny that no one has seen such a growth rate. Given the space, food, and pristine conditions, fish can easily grow to their adult lengths. Females top out at 16 inches, the males, an inch or two less and are more slender. The females are absolutely huge.

Few little ones here: http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Dave

LORENZO
12-04-2008, 09:10 PM
(zfish) (zfish) five fluval oh and the tank was 350 gallons and.... 8ft long and 3ft i take it in width. now that would be a tank for those clowns. So alot of good fresh veggies and i see good water changes. But 6 years and 14 inches. the females are huge then. Do they tend to grow quite slowly and start to really put on growth. Now if i was feeding them like I am feeding the discus hmmm what would happen. Imagine a 14 " loach!!!!! Will they get darker as they get older like the strips will stay dark? Will they fade. I have noticed some difference in the stripes. The plump on in my tank that is bigger than the rest has stripes that are not as dark. Five fluvals running ohhhhhhhhhh now thats some filtration.

Brookfish
12-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Wow that was an amazing set up Dave, kudos to you for growing
your clowns to their full size, that's impressive.
That was a great diet you fed to them, i'm gonna try that with mine.
Well at least the ingrediants I can get.