PDA

View Full Version : new kuhlis acting weird

Slinky_Bass
01-22-2007, 11:36 AM
I got some new fish on Saturday (2 baby angels and 5 kuhli loaches) for my 20 gal. It's been two days now and the angels have settled in nicely but my Kuhlis are acting a bit weird. For practically the whole of Sunday at least two of them were continuously swimming up and down the one corner, sometimes a third one would join in and then go off again. This morning I saw two of them still at it, just swimming and wriggling up and down.

I can't see any sign of disease on them, they aren't swimming frantically or anything, and when I feed them they stop to eat. They aren't being bothered by any of the other fish, and the ph at the LFS is close to mine.

Any ideas why they are acting so weird, has anyone else experienced Kuhlis doing this?

Lady Hobbs
01-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Loaches do that. They are just weird. Mine will do that in the bubble wands for hours. Sleep on their sides and do lots of goofy things.

Slinky_Bass
01-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Ah, good to hear it. I was worried that something might be wrong with them, but if they are naturally weird that's fine, I like naturally weird.

kimmers318
01-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Yes, kuhlis are naturally weird, and that is common. Is there water flow in that corner? Mine love to come up to the top of the tank, swim into the water current coming out of the one filter and then ride the surf backwards and down, only to do it again and again. My loaches will do this also...they really seem to love the current that shoots out of the small fluval, so when I move them to the large tank I will probably add a powerhead just for them to play in since there isn't that type of current in that tank using the magnum filter.

Abbeys_Mom
01-22-2007, 03:29 PM
I have found that kuhli's do that sort of thing until they get settled. An overturned plant pot provides a great spot. With that many, you need a place they can all "nest" in together. My kuhli had been alone for a few months and I swear loaches NEED companionship. I bought a Yo Yo loach and he and my kuhli are now the best of friends. They sleep together at night and are always playing together. My kuhli is black, I had never seen one before I bought him and haven't seen them since.

kufan
01-23-2007, 04:23 AM
For practically the whole of Sunday at least two of them were continuously swimming up and down the one corner, sometimes a third one would join in and then go off again. This morning I saw two of them still at it, just swimming and wriggling up and

My weather(dojo) loach did the same thing for a couple of days. Hopefully it will work out for ya.

KU

jeffs99dime
01-23-2007, 04:27 AM
I have found that kuhli's do that sort of thing until they get settled. An overturned plant pot provides a great spot. With that many, you need a place they can all "nest" in together. My kuhli had been alone for a few months and I swear loaches NEED companionship. I bought a Yo Yo loach and he and my kuhli are now the best of friends. They sleep together at night and are always playing together. My kuhli is black, I had never seen one before I bought him and haven't seen them since.

that pic is great!

Abbeys_Mom
01-23-2007, 02:19 PM

Severus
01-23-2007, 09:30 PM
That is a good pic Abbeys Mom. My three clown loaches love eachother as well. My little 2" guy is always right beside my 5"

Slinky_Bass
01-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I think they did need time to settle down. One of my Kuhlis died though, I came home yesterday and found him laying on the gravel. Couldn't see any signs of disease so I'm guessing it was a combination of stress and heat (it's been really hot lately and my tanks are sitting on 31 C, doing what I can though with icepacks and fans to keep it down).

One thing I'm a bit worried about now is their appetites. Compared to my angels and corys they are so picky and thin. What do you guys feed your loaches, is there anything you find that they can't resist?

Kimmers: the water out flow is in the other corner, there is nothing interesting about that corner they were swimming in so that's why I wondered... they've settled now though and are busy doing other weird things, like wriggling in my java ferns and anubias and looking for little little nooks and crannies in the bogwood.

Abbeys_Mom: Lovely photo, your two loaches look so cute together, I think they have chosen the anubias on the bogwood as a nest. Every now and then I'll see one of their heads poking out from between the leaves.

Abbeys_Mom
01-24-2007, 02:21 PM
I feed mine granule food, they are the kind where some sink and some float. It takes care of all the fish in my tank (except the catfish). If I remember correctly, they like tubifix and bloodworms as well.

Nautilus291
01-24-2007, 02:35 PM

I just got 6 yoyo loaches and they really love to swim together. They seem to form a v shape when they are all together digging at the gravel, Its a really neat thing to watch.