PDA

View Full Version : Dojo Loaches

Wild Turkey
11-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Looking for info on these, specifically minimum tank size, the info im getting is all over the place from 20-50 gallons. Whats up with these? Whos kept them?

The fiancee fell in love with them at the lfs store today.

gm72
11-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I keep 2 of them, gold variety, in a coldwater 35 gallon with a dozen white clouds and 2 paradise fish. I absolutely love them. They will eat anything--sinking pellets, extra flake, etc. They have fantastic personalities. I strongly recommend sand substrate as mine love to bury themselves at times. Very, very cool fish. Possibly my favorite fish in the house.

LORENZO
11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Hello i have two of them and oh they are exciting fish. they love to be active and dig and hide. Very active more so than my clowns. A longer tank would be good. they love to hide in plants and mine use caves. ONe likes to hang in the polysperma plant. great fish! i did put a pic of him in the gallery.

mac
11-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Here is a link for you WT.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_dojo.php

IMO I think the person who wrote this up should not have placed 21 gallon 80 lts. Other wise the information I see to be quite all right.

IMO I would keep them in a 40+++ gallon, long and wide if possible.

mac

gwenkat
11-28-2008, 11:53 PM
I have 2 gold dojos and a regular one in my 60 gal. They are my favorite fish - very active, curious about everything. They eat anything I feed. Here is a link with more info:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/weather-loach-misgurnis-anguillicaudatus

cer
11-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Their very curious and are great fish.

Wild Turkey
11-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Okay the tanks that might be able to stock them right now are the 20long and 29, same footprint. Either of these tanks big enough IYO guys? Anyone? I know they get to 10 inches, but some people seem to think they need less room since they can turn so easily..i could see that but i have no clue if it reigns true or not. Any/All help is appreciated:19:

mac
11-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Okay the tanks that might be able to stock them right now are the 20long and 29, same footprint. Either of these tanks big enough IYO guys? Anyone? I know they get to 10 inches, but some people seem to think they need less room since they can turn so easily..i could see that but i have no clue if it reigns true or not. Any/All help is appreciated:19:

HMMM. I my self would not, I would do a 40 gallon. Just for the main reason of more room for them to scoot around in. But that is my thoughts.

mac

AABatteries
11-30-2008, 12:23 AM
I think I've read that they're cold water fish.

mac
11-30-2008, 01:20 AM
I think I've read that they're cold water fish.

Yes they are a cool water fish. Thanks for bring it up. They live in around 75'f.

mac

Wild Turkey
11-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Yes they are, like ive said i have a bunch of empties right now, so cold water is NP. Im just wondering if that 29 is gonna be enough, i dont wanna risk it really if its gonna be close...but thats only 6 gallons less than Gms coldwater tank, and hes never steered me wrong before. So im wondering how big of a difference 6 gallons would be.. So im still unsure

Oh yea i am talking about the golden morphs, sorry i never answered that.

kigroy
11-30-2008, 01:45 AM
Looking for info on these, specifically minimum tank size, the info im getting is all over the place from 20-50 gallons. Whats up with these? Whos kept them?

The fiancee fell in love with them at the lfs store today.

Pardon me for not reading all the post (I in fact read none), but I have had them in the past.

They like groups and come out when the atmospheric temperature drops (i.e. a thunderstorm or tornado comes), but since I live in SoCal where it never rains, I didn't see them too often, but I saw them more than my kuhli loaches that I currently.

All in all, kind of a boring fish. They do like to lay on top of each other which is kind of interesting, and when they do come out of hiding they are fun to watch swim around the tank crazily.

Recommendation: If you have extra space in your tank for more fish get them, but if you are looking something interesting to add to your tank don't because you will rarely see them.

Edit: Just read all the posts, I guess I had a very different experience then most.

Wild Turkey
11-30-2008, 01:48 AM
I was hoping on using them as a bottom feeder instead of corys, the ones at the lfs are quite active, but then again the dont have many hiding places. Thanks for the info

kigroy
11-30-2008, 02:58 AM
I was hoping on using them as a bottom feeder instead of corys, the ones at the lfs are quite active, but then again the dont have many hiding places. Thanks for the info

I have a ton of hiding places in my tank, and that might be why i never saw them. I have 6 julii corys now, and i see them all the time. Having had both, i would opt for corys over dojo's, but that's just me.

good luck

Wild Turkey
11-30-2008, 03:00 AM
I have a ton of hiding places in my tank, and that might be why i never saw them. I have 6 julii corys now, and i see them all the time. Having had both, i would opt for corys over dojo's, but that's just me.

good luck

Yea thats understandable, i have corys now and plan on many more so im looking for something different, any other ideas for a bottom feeder?

Corys are one of my favs

kigroy
11-30-2008, 03:12 AM
Yea thats understandable, i have corys now and plan on many more so im looking for something different, any other ideas for a bottom feeder?

Corys are one of my favs

sorry, i'm not a whole lot of help. corys are great, interesting, etc etc....

clown loaches and red tail catfish look interesting but i've never had either so i could not say too much about them.

maybe a pictus, they don't stay on the bottom all the time but they will feed off the bottom, but then again they will feed on everything.

good luck...

Fishesses
10-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Multiple sources say this fish has adapted quite well to being kept in a wide range of temperatures, sometimes higher than what's "recommend". Still though, the 65F-75F or 77F is most preferred, even by the same folks who say it can go warmer.

Would you keep Dojo in a tank that stays around 81F for most of the day for several months a year? I'm looking for the AC consensus and thinking probably not.

Wild Turkey
10-01-2009, 09:04 PM
thread is from 2008

Rue
10-01-2009, 09:23 PM
That's fine...the info. is still relevant.

I have 3 dojos in a CW tank in my basement. In the winter it goes down to 65F...they seem happy and I've had them for a couple of years now...if not longer...

Phoenixphire55
10-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Hello there, I have 3 dojos loaches in my 20 gallon long. They are indeed coldwater fish and can tolerate temperatures as low as 50, but they do best in the 60-70 range. A twenty gallon tank is fine for the first year or two while they are still under 5 or 6 inches. After that they should have a bigger (longer) tank because as you said they can get up to 10 inches long. Some other things, golden dojos and normal colored dojos have the same care requirements and they will not segregate. Definitely use a sandy bottom for your substrate. Get at least three or four, six being ideal. They show their interesting behavior best in groups. Some people on here said they hide a lot or are boring. Well, don't fill your tank with easy hiding places and you will see them all the time. If you put a powerhead in your tank you'll see them even more often as they love to swim around in the currents. I think mine looks like tiny little chinese dragons and they are my favorite fish I've ever owned. I would definitely recommend them. Still, as many people have said, plan to buy a bigger tank for them eventually, like 40 to 50 gallons.

sunfishman
10-10-2009, 02:43 PM
i have kept one in a 10 gallon with a betta and gold gourami. they don't get real big and they like about 75 degree water.

Hailey
10-11-2009, 06:54 AM
I have two in my 33 gal, soon into the 75 gal, but I love them! My first one, Hank, is the best! I couldnt imagine not having him