PDA

View Full Version : Question a/b my barbs.

BlackIce118
11-27-2008, 05:35 PM
I recently inherited a tank of tinfoil barbs from my mother. She started out with six and now there are only two left. There are also three catfish sharing the tank as well. Of the barbs, one is large (about three inches) and tends to float and swim upside down at times. He even drives himself down into the rocks. The other one is small (about two inches) and tends to favor floating to one side (as if his equilibrium is off). I don't know much about the tank. The temp is always inbetween 77 F and 82 F. And I feed them a little bit of tropical fish food flakes once a day. I don't know much else about the tank because unfortunately, my mother (the owner of the tank and the only one who knows how to take care of them) passed away a few months ago. I'm trying my best to keep these fish alive but don't know what's wrong with them. What should I do?

mac
11-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi,
Sorry to hear about you mother.

As for your fish have you tested the water parameters? If not I would find out what the parameters are. Also how big is the tank. How long, and wide. These fish get very big around 10 icnhes.

When did you do a water change last?

mac

cer
12-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Get a bigger tank change water and check parameters. Also they are schooling fish.

copper_eos
01-19-2009, 02:54 PM
It sounds like your water quality may not be good. I would suggest a partial water change 25-50% of the water. I had a few fish acting like this and found out my PH in the tank had changed too drastically for them.

I would also suggest the following book "The Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums" by David E. Boruchowit. It's more about how to set up a new aquarium but will give a new fish caretaker some good pointers on what you're dealing with an how to maintain a tank. It's a very easy read and will help you to maintain your newly inherited tank. :goldfish:

Good luck and hope you enjoy your new fish.