PDA

View Full Version : arowana

xenon007
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
dear friends

thinking of purcashing an arowana fish. for those of you who already own one, is it difficult to maintain them, and have u noticed any luck after owning them. if they happen to die, does back luck set in??

thanks a lot, and get back to you soon.

gm72
11-17-2008, 11:36 AM
I think before talking about owning one it is important to know the requirements for the fish. Have you done research to ensure you will be able to keep the animal in an appropriate environment?

Fishguy2727
11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Do you have a tank that is 6-8 feet long, 3-4 feet wide, and at least 2 feet tall?

Demjor19
11-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Also...what species of Arowana?

cocoa_pleco
11-17-2008, 09:55 PM
depending on the species, youre looking at a tank bset 96x36x24, but 72 long is manageable

Demjor19
11-17-2008, 11:28 PM
depending on the species, youre looking at a tank bset 96x36x24, but 72 long is manageable

That's true...this footprint would accommodate any of the Aro species.

Fishguy2727
11-18-2008, 02:04 AM
Although arowanas can turn around very tightly, I do think they should get a tank at least a wide as they are long, and AT LEAST twice as long as they are, preferably 3-4x their length.

Red
11-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Although arowanas can turn around very tightly, I do think they should get a tank at least a wide as they are long, and AT LEAST twice as long as they are, preferably 3-4x their length.

agreed 100%

dean30bb
11-18-2008, 10:15 AM
ive been thinking of getting one also

can they go in a 6ftx2ft

gm72
11-18-2008, 11:40 AM

can they go in a 6ftx2ft

This question is answered above .

Demjor19
11-18-2008, 01:01 PM

can they go in a 6ftx2ft

A 6x2 will last them a few years...probably 3 tops, then they will more than likely require a larger tank (in the 3' wide range). I have had my Silver in a 180 (6x2x2) for two years and it's roughly 18" long. Next summer we are planning a 375 (8x2x2) that will be her permanent home.

canopus_star82
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
my friend has got a 1ft arowana in a 6x3x2 tank. the problem is it is only taking live food. how do we get it to start taking other food?

donvichu
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
A 6x2 will last them a few years...probably 3 tops, then they will more than likely require a larger tank (in the 3' wide range). I have had my Silver in a 180 (6x2x2) for two years and it's roughly 18" long. Next summer we are planning a 375 (8x2x2) that will be her permanent home.

6 x 2 is more than sufficient for any asian and australian species of arowana as they grow to a max of 2 ft in captivity unlike silver which grows upto 3 to 3and a half feet.....so the footprint depends on the species of arowana......also they need a heavier top as they are strong and tend to throw the cover and jump out....its better to train the arowana as a juvenile to feed on lfs or other equivalent pellets rather than live feeds as disease could be transmitted....once in a way live food is necessary.........please do more research as these species grows faster...and do not compromise for a smaller tank as you will have to buy a bigger tank in less than 3 months.........but these fishes are majestic:19:

Fishguy2727
11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Stop feeding live and get it hungry. Then offer prepared foods. Hikari Food Sticks are made to get picky top feeding predators to switch.

Silvers can hit 4'. The Asian and Australian species can hit 3'. They all need a tank at bare minimum at least as wide as they are long, preferably twice that wide. Ideally the tank is at least 3x their length (if you think about it even this is quite small), and a height of about 2' is minimal for all.

Demjor19
11-25-2008, 04:50 PM
6 x 2 is more than sufficient for any asian and australian species of arowana as they grow to a max of 2 ft in captivity unlike silver which grows upto 3 to 3and a half feet.....so the footprint depends on the species of arowana......also they need a heavier top as they are strong and tend to throw the cover and jump out....its better to train the arowana as a juvenile to feed on lfs or other equivalent pellets rather than live feeds as disease could be transmitted....once in a way live food is necessary.........please do more research as these species grows faster...and do not compromise for a smaller tank as you will have to buy a bigger tank in less than 3 months.........but these fishes are majestic:19:

1. I was assuming we were talking about a Silver Arowana. That's the safest way to make tank suggestions...being they are the largest Arowana.

2. Is that directed towards me? I have had my Silver for 2 years now and have done a LOT of research in that time.

I fully agree with you in the fact that they need a heavy solid top on the tank. These fish certainly will knock the tops off of the tank if they are spooked. This a one of the most common causes of death in Arowanas.

I will also agree that prepared foods are much better for them than live feeders...this goes for just about all fish species. Every fish I own is now feeding exclusively on freeze dried, pelleted, and/or fresh fish/seafood.

donvichu
11-25-2008, 04:57 PM
1. I was assuming we were talking about a Silver Arowana. That's the safest way to make tank suggestions...being they are the largest Arowana.

2. Is that directed towards me? I have had my Silver for 2 years now and have done a LOT of research in that time.

I fully agree with you in the fact that they need a heavy solid top on the tank. These fish certainly will knock the tops off of the tank if they are spooked. This a one of the most common causes of death in Arowanas.

I will also agree that prepared foods are much better for them than live feeders...this goes for just about all fish species. Every fish I own is now feeding exclusively on freeze dried, pelleted, and/or fresh fish/seafood.

The answer was given to the person who wanted to know about the arowana and was not directed towards anyone for any reason...if it looked that way am sorry....no hard feelings

Demjor19
11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
The answer was given to the person who wanted to know about the arowana and was not directed towards anyone for any reason...if it looked that way am sorry....no hard feelings

No offense taken...I just wan't sure who you were directing it at. I saw my post quoted and thought it was towards me. It's all good!

donvichu
11-25-2008, 05:02 PM
No offense taken...I just wan't sure who you were directing it at. I saw my post quoted and thought it was towards me. It's all good!

its just that I knew you have a silver arowana that i clarified the other person the difference in size between a silver arowana and the asian and australian ones :19: :19: :19:

cer
11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
ive only ever owned 1