PDA

View Full Version : Tiger shovel nose catfish losing skin?

reptile dude007
11-13-2008, 09:09 AM
I had one of these three years ago.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/tigershovelnose.php
I had it for a month or two and it's skin started to peel off. The only other tank mates it had was a Cory cat fish and a pleco. Plus some guppies that where being eaten for treats. Its diet was Hikari carnivore fish food the sinking kind, plus guppies if he got them. Any ideas why this happend? The fish is long gone. It lived for a week or two like that untill I relized I couldn't do any thing for it and I cut its head off to end its suffering. When it died it only had skin on it head.

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Gez, you cut it's head off! A trip to the freezer in a zip lock bag might have been less stressful.

Did you put medications in his tank? Some medications can be pretty harsh for catfish and loaches. Some gal here used medications on her loaches and they got blisters from the burns that all popped open and left them raw.

reptile dude007
11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Yes. They helped a little but then they just made it worse. I can't remember the name of it.
Wouldn't freezing be very pain full? The blood cells crystalize the gills freeze and the suffocate. A quick right out of the tank to a clean counter and then your dead be less pain full.

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2008, 09:40 AM
I suspect he was burned by the medications. When you freeze them, they just go to sleep. They probably run out of oxygen before they freeze.

reptile dude007
11-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Oh. What started it though? The meds just made it worse.

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2008, 10:27 AM
So, he was losing his skin before the medications? Sorry. Gosh, I have no idea. That will give me something to search for today. He apparently had a bacterial problem of some kind.

Been looking and finding nothing remotely close to this. Hopefully someone here can help you because I sure can't.

reptile dude007
11-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Yes.
I looked around when this was happening and I couldn't find any thing.

About a week later I went into the pet shop to ask them and they said they were having the same problom and they showed me the fish they had like this and they had absolutely no skin!!! They were putting them down when I went in there they had a few left over that were fine but weren't for sale. Any ways, that LFS closed down recently. The last time I went there I got riped off. I got a couple of fish and I hadn't even gotten them home after getting them they died!!! I talked to them and they said it was my fault!

Northernguy
11-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Don't go there anymore.It sounds like a store with very poor cleaning habits.
Next time you have a fish that is on its way out,Put it in a bag with water and vodka and place it in the freezer.It will be more relaxed as the cold puts it to sleep.It works and the fish don't seem to mind that much.I bury mine but you can also put it in the compost or garbage.

reptile dude007
11-13-2008, 11:50 PM
They closed down.
Ok, next time I have to do it I will try that. I flush mine.

Gemini
11-14-2008, 01:35 AM
Don't flush fish dead or alive! Even when dead they can have parasites etc that aren't in the wild. These things can then get to the natural waterways and cause havoc. Always bin, bury, decompost etc but NEVER flush.
Sorry to hear about your fish. IT would seem to me that it would be a bacterial thing if all their fish had the problem! Sounds awful!

reptile dude007
11-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Oh. I didn't know that thanks!!! I think I will make a compost heap.

Northernguy
11-14-2008, 05:16 AM
I don't even flush my tank water.
I dump it on my lawn after my plants are fed.
I guess it will be difficult in the winter unless I make a funky looking ice rink!:18:

reptile dude007
11-14-2008, 05:20 AM
I'll bring the ice skates :c2:

cer
11-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Try Asking About Afects Of The Medications You Gave It

Gemini
11-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Oh. I didn't know that thanks!!! I think I will make a compost heap.
No worries at all! A compost heap is a great plan!