PDA

View Full Version : Different types of shrimp

jefffyluber
11-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Dumb question... but can differen't shrimp (ie. ghost/cherry) live together.. like I've been reading and I just read that they can get along with x fish. I'm sure they can, but just curious. Thanks in advance~!

AquaBANG
11-12-2008, 05:05 AM
not all shrimp can be put in together. Refer to a compatibility chart here (http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/dwarf_shrimp_compatibility_chart.shtml)

Wild Turkey
11-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Also some shrimps you will get confused (like ghost shrimp and male cherries) and that can cause issues.
Also different color varieties of the cherry shrimp (like banana shrimp or snowball shrimp) will breed and produce brown babies. Yum.

korith
11-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Here is a great site I came across, has a lot of good info on shrimps. The chart will tell ya which ones interbreed. http://www.planetinverts.com/Will%20These%20Shrimp%20Interbreed.html

Sounguru
11-12-2008, 07:18 AM
It is not a matter of interbreeding when it comes to ghost and cherrys it is the fact that the ghost will attack and eat the young and possiably the adult cherries. Ghost are not a good fit with any other shrimp that are smaller than them or if you want young of the other type.

Wild Turkey
11-12-2008, 12:55 PM
It is not a matter of interbreeding when it comes to ghost and cherrys it is the fact that the ghost will attack and eat the young and possiably the adult cherries. Ghost are not a good fit with any other shrimp that are smaller than them or if you want young of the other type.

We were talking about different color varieties of cherry (of which they are several) interbreeding. (which they will) And it makes the babies worthless. Not ghosts and cherries breeding. Read the post before you correct plox ;)

jefffyluber
11-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks a lot Wild T. and everyone!

Sounguru
11-12-2008, 06:05 PM
We were talking about different color varieties of cherry (of which they are several) interbreeding. (which they will) And it makes the babies worthless. Not ghosts and cherries breeding. Read the post before you correct plox ;)

The original poster asked about ghost and cherries not 2 different varities of the same shrimp. Someone else took it off on breeding between similar varities. I did read the whole thread I guess you just missed the original post. I was responding to the original post not the wandering information he had been given. No one answered his direct question about ghost shrimp and cherries.

Now Ghost shrimp and some of the long arm varities can be very aggressive to smaller shrimp so it isn't just a matter of can they cross breed. It is a matter of aggression. So when you are asking about shrimp that fact needs to be brought up too since you are seeing more and more of the long arm varities on the market. Not to mention the fact that what species you are actually getting under the name ghost can be a crap shoot since most fish farmers just label any old clear shrimp as a ghost. The American Ghost/Glass Shrimp which is the most common ghost type sold are aggressive to other shrimp and I have seen them take down baby fish.

So basing it all on interbreeding you would say that ghost and cherries can mix because they do not cross breed, which is clearly not the case.

The only person who even hinted to the aggression side is Aquabang in his link.

Fishalicious
11-12-2008, 06:31 PM
Having a bad day Guru? The original poster asked about 2 different shrimp living together and not specifically ghost & cherries but posted these as an example (i.e. cherry & ghost) There is no reason to rubbish other posters replies when most of them have been very valid!

I realize this is in retaliation to Wild Turkey who is also getting a spanking!!! There is never a reason to call another poster out...if you have a problem with someone PM one of the Mods and we will look into it to see if it is justified which in this case it was not...

Be nice to each other xxxx

Wild Turkey
11-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Oh man usually we pay extra for that around here fisha ;)

Fishalicious
11-12-2008, 07:28 PM
For spanking? Well in that case feel free to pay me for your ass whooping :19: :19:

Sounguru
11-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I wasn't trying to be mean if it came across that way. I was just pointing out that sometimes it has nothing to do with cross breeding but that there are other factors involved.

I just got thru getting someone canned at the BFS for basically the same thing so this is a raw subject for me... he was telling customers that ghost could live with cherries and I was getting the disgruntles coming in my store and wondering where their cherries had gone. This was just the final straw and I had enough evidence that when I sat down with the store manager and laid it all out he fired the guy while I was there.... Oh man the look on his face when the manager said http://www.stopactionphoto.net/images/110105~15959.GIF this guy thought he was untouchable...

I had been after this guy for 6 months for telling people that it was okay to put 4 oscars in a ten gallon, and other dumb carp like that.....

So no offense ment and I'm ready for my spankin......http://www.stopactionphoto.net/images/BABY_A~23535.GIF

And yes it has been a bad day but that is a completly different thread.

So Sorry WT if it came across pissy it wasn't intended.http://www.stopactionphoto.net/images/THEGOD~122.GIF

Fishalicious
11-12-2008, 08:49 PM
No probs and no harm done...unless you are unable to sit now from your spanking LOL

It does sound like a good think that guy got fired :c2:

Sorry to hear your having a bad day xxx Just think..things can only get better on days like that ;)

Wild Turkey
11-12-2008, 08:51 PM
We've all been there, no harm no foul buddy:19: