PDA

View Full Version : Red cherry shrimp vacation feeding?

korith
11-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Well just preparing myself for my 3 week vacation in december, no one around that I could trust to feed the tanks. The fish tank I'm not too worried as I got a feeder for it and have been testing it out for the last week or so.

The shrimp tank however is a different story. A vacation feeder would dump far too much flake/pellets, or algae wafers in the tank.

About 30+ red cherry shrimp in the tank. My normal routine is to break off a half or a third of an algae wafer every other day usually.

The shrimp tank has a few water wisteria plants in it, as well as several java moss balls.

I did read one suggestion on another forum, to let the biofilm and algae build up in the tank, and let the shrimp feed on that. So I think will probably do that as well.

So far my plan is to do a water change the day before I go on my trip and add in a wafer or two.

Would be enough to sustain them for 3 weeks? I think it might work as they don't really consume much.

The population has been increasing each week, so in 4-5 weeks when I do leave the population should be well double or triple what it is now.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Fishalicious
11-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Have you got any beech tree's near you?? Dry some out and pop 5-6 into the shrimp tank... food for at least a month :19:

PUNISHER VETTE
11-05-2008, 11:45 PM
they're filter feeders....i think they'll be okay.

i only throw in 1 wafer every week or so for my 30g full of shrimp. Not that they need it but because i think it makes them happy.

korith
11-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Lots of trees around here not sure what they are all called. Will research beech trees. Never thought of just putting some leaves in there, even though I read about it a lot. Think I read maple and oak leaves were ok.

Sounguru
11-06-2008, 12:32 AM
You can also use a standard vactaion feeder block

Red
11-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah everyone has good suggestions, but the feeder block can be risky...

terrapin24h
11-06-2008, 01:42 AM
is said tank maybe near a window? If you just open the shades, or make sure it gets lots of full spectrum light, Algae will naturally occur and your shrimp should be fine.

--chris

korith
11-06-2008, 02:07 AM
is said tank maybe near a window? If you just open the shades, or make sure it gets lots of full spectrum light, Algae will naturally occur and your shrimp should be fine.

--chris

Wish I knew how to do multiple quotes,

The feeder blocks I considered, but was worried about them falling apart and staying in the tank that long. I think may test out one of those 7 day feeder blocks and see how it fairs in the tank.

Hmm actually I kept both tanks away from the window. The shrimp one is in an inside wall away from the window. I have 2 10w fluorescent bulbs, they are suppose to be good for plant growth. I suppose I could lengthen the time the lights remain on with the timer.

Lots of great suggestions people, think I'll try a combination of everything over the next few weeks. So I can figure out what will work best while I'm gone.

On a completely unrelated topic, my 20g tank is snail free after 2 weeks. But somehow they have shown up in the 10g shrimp tank! *fshake* I bet it was with the java moss I got.

Sounguru
11-06-2008, 02:12 AM
I keep a feeder block in my tank at all times it buffers the water and feeds both the snails in shrimp never had a problem with them.

korith
11-06-2008, 06:46 AM
I keep a feeder block in my tank at all times it buffers the water and feeds both the snails in shrimp never had a problem with them.

Going to grab one tomorrow to try out. The leaves sound promising too, it's about time I learned how to tell the various trees apart. Have a bunch of nature trails really close by. One is less than 5minutes from my front door:p

Gemstone
11-06-2008, 12:28 PM
if u got yourself some bowls and water..and some stones and wood...add stones and wood...to the water-filled bowls...put it somewhere where there is lots of light...and see the algae grow..lol..and ust plonk them into the tank ...voila..instant food on tap.

terrapin24h
11-06-2008, 12:59 PM
I tried this and it didn't work, until i used tank water. I took some water out of my tank right before a change and BOOM! In 2 days i had algae. Turns out fih tank water is a good fertilizer :)

--chris