PDA

View Full Version : Otto the Rock Star Octopus

Fishalicious
11-03-2008, 06:29 PM
A naughty Octopus has been causing havoc in an aquarium

Staff believe that the octopus called Otto had been annoyed by the bright light shining into his aquarium and had discovered he could extinguish it by climbing onto the rim of his tank and squirting a jet of water in its direction.

The short-circuit had baffled electricians as well as staff at the Sea Star Aquarium in Coburg, Germany, who decided to take shifts sleeping on the floor to find out what caused the mysterious blackouts.

A spokesman said: "It was a serious matter because it shorted the electricity supply to the whole aquarium that threatened the lives of the other animals when water pumps ceased to work.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01054/otto-octupus-460_1054110c.jpg

It was on the third night that we found out that the octopus Otto was responsible for the chaos.

"We knew that he was bored as the aquarium is closed for winter, and at two feet, seven inches Otto had discovered he was big enough to swing onto the edge of his tank and shoot out the 2000 Watt spot light above him with a carefully directed jet of water."

Once we saw him juggling the hermit crabs in his tank, another time he threw stones against the glass damaging it. And from time to time he completely re-arranges his tank to make it suit his own taste better - much to the distress of his fellow tank inhabitants.

That is one rock start octopus!!!! LOL

Full article - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3328480/Otto-the-octopus-wrecks-havoc.html

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Cephalopods are intelligent creatures, Otto proves that. LOL Rather impressive character.

NickFish
11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Octopus and all the other of those...whatever GB saids, are very very intelligent and new research is always proving this. Which is why I would never keep an octopus in aquaria unless I really knew 100% that I can take care of it perfectly in every way.

Whoa, 2000w spot light. I didn't know you could buy a single light that strong for aquariums.

cocoa_pleco
11-03-2008, 09:26 PM
i heard that a few days ago on another forum, theyre smart!

fraggle
11-26-2008, 02:56 AM
Good on him! LOL, i'd be spitting water at a spotlight too if it was keeping me awake and it was the only thing I could do:19:

qwerty
12-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Lol nice read :)

TowBoater
01-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Very cool! I want an octopus bad but I don't think I would be able to properly care for it.

cocoa_pleco
01-10-2009, 02:19 AM
i kept one years back, but the main thing that led me to give him away after a while was if you scared them, they did the whole ink thing, and since its in such a enclosed space the ink can foul the water fast and you have to do a ASAP massive water change to get rid of the ink