PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Stocking a Barb Tank

copper_eos
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Hello, I currently have one Arulius Barb and a new big tank to fill. Other than the Arulius Barbs I was wondering what other barbs or types of fish you would recommend putting in the tank?

Would the Arulius Barbs do better with Tiger Barbs, Cherry Barbs, or are all types of barbs pretty much compatible with all other types of Barbs? (zfish)

Hoping for plenty of suggestions. Thanks for you help

fins_n_fur
11-03-2008, 10:44 AM
As Arulius Barb are schooling fish, you'd want to get at least 6 or 7 more. Other barbs could go as well, but tiger barbs may be too rambunctious. How large is the tank?

mrs fishpatrick
11-03-2008, 11:22 AM
don't go for any slow moving, long finned fish

copper_eos
11-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Will I have any trouble though with the Arulius Barbs if I mix them with Tiger Barbs and say Cherry Barbs or do all type of barbs generally get along fine together?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
11-03-2008, 09:48 PM
First of all, how large is the tank? Before any more accurate recommendations can made we need to know the tank size.

fins_n_fur
11-03-2008, 09:51 PM
If there isn't a typo in the profile, it looks like the tank in question is a 5 gallon--I asked the same question before but forgot to check the poster's profile.

copper_eos
11-05-2008, 05:55 AM
It's a 29 gallon with a 70 gallon filter. The Arulius is currently in what will now be a quarantine tank until the new tank is cycled.

mac
11-05-2008, 07:47 AM
It's a 29 gallon with a 70 gallon filter. The Arulius is currently in what will now be a quarantine tank until the new tank is cycled.

I am a bit confused. So the Barb is in a 29 gallon tank. but what dose this mean.

The Arulius is currently in what will now be a quarantine tank until the new tank is cycled.

Are you saying you have another tank, other than your 29 gallon?

With these question answered we can them start work on answering your questions.

mac

fins_n_fur
11-05-2008, 09:04 AM
copper eos has a 29 gallon tank that is cycling. The 1 Arulius barb that he has is in a another tank, a quarantine tank. He would like advice on the stocking the 29 gallon.

copper_eos
11-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Precisely what fins_n_fur said. I have NO fish in the 29 gallon tank yet. The Arulius Barb is in a 5 gallon tank until the 29 gallon tank is cycled. I am looking for advice on stocking the 29 gallon tank (with a 70 gallon filter). I like Rosy Barbs alot but I know they get large like the Arulius Barbs will. I also like Tiger Barbs but I'm concerned about running out of room and overstocking, however, I would also like an interesting tank to enjoy. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mac
11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi,
Your tank is 29 gallon, 109 litres.

Okay I would not keep Arulius barb in a tank this size because the fish grow up to 4-5 inches. And these fish can be quite active. And they are also very social
fish they require a school of their own species. So you need about 5-6 of these wonderful fish. Now that posses a problem, because of the size of the tank and you wanting to have other fish in your tank your tank will be come over stocked. The main reason is these fish need a minimum size tank of 40 gallons.

You would be better of getting Pentazon Barbs. They are easy to look after and look very similar, while being half the size. You might even want to look into Cheery Barbs Golden Barbs as well. These are very colourful and nice looking fish, plus they are very small fish 2 inches. You could then even get some cat-fish for the tank.

Sorry to put a dampener on your ideas for your Arulius barb, but the tank is really to small for these loverly fish.

Hope this helps.

mac

copper_eos
11-06-2008, 10:38 AM
The problem being, I already have an Arulius Barb. It has been in my 5 gallon tank. For whatever reason it was living on it's own in the pet store in a tank of gouramis. It does not seem unhappy. It swims around exploring, dances around, and plays by the glass whenever we are close by. The only reason I purchased a larger tank was because I know the fish is going to outgrow a tiny 5 gallon if it hasn't already.

The guy at the pet store told me the fish would be happier alone if it meant excellent water conditions (even if it meant not having a school) and even talked me out of purchasing more... however everyone online encouraged me that a school was the best way to go. I'm not sure what to do now though. I have the fish I have the bigger tank.

mac
11-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Hi,
I would return the fish, and get some other smaller fish. Then you wont have the same problem again. If you buy Pentazon Barbs you will, relatively the same looking fish, but brighter and small fish than the Arulius Barbs.

I don't understand why the fellow in the shop said to only get one. That is ridiculous.

mac

copper_eos
01-11-2009, 04:46 AM
So this is what I decided to do with my 26 gallon tank. I purchased 3 Rosy Barbs to cycle the tank with. Once the tank was cycled I added the Arulius Barb. It appears he likes to school with the Rosy Barbs. He is only about 2.5 inches at this point so if and when he gets larger I can always upgrade to a bigger tank. Right now they have plenty and swimming room and are enjoying the larger tank and all play together quite nicely. The only problem I have had so far is one of the female Rosey's is a bit of a bully but the Arulius Barb being a bit larger tends to keep her in line and even seems to break up any fighting or constant chasing that occasionally occurs. Otherwise all my water conditions have stayed excellent. No problems so far except with the basic algae buildup that's to be expected :goldfish: