PDA

View Full Version : Help catching skunk loaches

KingFisher
11-02-2008, 04:00 PM
I have had three skunk loaches in my 29 gallon tank for about five months. They hide so much, I have changed the stocking in my profile three or four times, thinking one or two of them were no longer in there. Recently, thinking they were all dead and gone, I added a school of silver hatchets to the tank. The next day, like magic, they all appeared. I now want to move the loaches to my 55 gallon tank, but after two days of unsuccessfully trying to catch them, I need help. At one point I had removed most of the wood and rocks and drained some of the water out. I managed to catch one. This tank is planted, so I'm looking for some way to get them without uprooting all the plants and making too big of a mess. I have had a net sitting in there with food in it all day hoping they would go in there, but they will not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

smaug
11-02-2008, 04:04 PM
You need a trap.I have used small plastic soda bottles with bait in them with success.Add the bait ,tie a string around the neck ,sink it and wait.When you see the candidate in the trap just lift the bottle out,it will take a while but it will work without tearing the tank apart.

Red
11-02-2008, 04:04 PM
wow, sounds like a pain. I would try to use the biggest net you got and try to chase them out with your hand and use theother net and try to catch them. I know how that feels i had 3 zebra danio i couldnt catch. Or i just though of this you can try to use two nets to catch them, that might help.

KingFisher
11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Five minutes after I posted this, loach #2 decided to sneak into the net. Two down, one to go. I'm making a trap like you suggested, Smaug. Thanks, I hope it works for the third one. (zfish)

KingFisher
11-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, I finally got sick of trying to catch loach #3 so I took everything out of the tank and finally caught him. I'm sure they will be happy to be all together again in my 55g, and now maybe the ram's eggs will stand a better chance in the 29g.

Wild Turkey
11-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Well, I finally got sick of trying to catch loach #3 so I took everything out of the tank and finally caught him. I'm sure they will be happy to be all together again in my 55g, and now maybe the ram's eggs will stand a better chance in the 29g.

Glad you managed to catch them, in the future its alot easier to use a bigger net and chase the fish into the net with ur free hand, rather than chasing them around with the net, bottom dwellers are tough sometimes though.

Funny avatar btw ;)

mac
11-09-2008, 05:10 AM
Glad you managed to catch them, in the future its alot easier to use a bigger net and chase the fish into the net with ur free hand, rather than chasing them around with the net, bottom dwellers are tough sometimes though.

Funny avatar btw ;)

I agree with you Wild Turkey. It is a pain to catch bottom dwellers. So the best way is to use a large net and a some ones else hand. That way you don't get wet.:19:

mac

Northernguy
11-09-2008, 06:16 AM
Great story !:19: Would have made a better video :hmm3grin2orange:
Get some pics up soon!:c3:

jb300m01
11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Glad to see it worked!

If i need to move my clowns to a different tank, I'll just wait until they are all packed inside their little hollow log thing lol.

cer
11-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Buy A Trap I Helped A Friend Get An Agressive Oscar Out Of A Tank

Wild Turkey
11-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Old post cer....