PDA

View Full Version : WalMart Betta's

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2007, 02:04 PM
I stopped at Walmart yesterday and saw their fish tanks were in the best shape they've been in for a long time. I wonder if me e-mailing cooperate had anything to do with this????

Anyway, here's there Betta's........in the dreaded plastic cups but the worse part was, some of the cups were not even half full of water. Some only had enough water in them to cover the Betta.........maybe only 2 inches.

I have no problem seeing a betta in a large vase as this is more water than they live in when in the wild. But I do hate those plastic cups!

The other store in town sells them right in the large vase.

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 02:07 PM
boy o boy. i hate walmart! sorry to hear that hobbs!

sergo
01-16-2007, 02:28 PM
the local fish stores i visit don't any better of a setup for their bettas, though wallyworld's seem to be a little worse. the funny thing is that every betta i have bought from there has lived longer than the LFS ones and wallyworld seems to have more variety of colors than my LFS.

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Hopefully because more people pass thru WalMart each day and more get sold. Betta's come from very shallow rice paddies but those cups are enough to make me shudder. They must always have water of 80 degrees, as well, or become lethargic and inactive. That's one reason bowls or vases aren't the ideal set-up for them or even community aquariums unless you have the water too warm for the other fish to thrieve well.

I am currently housing an angelfish in a community tank and I hate it as he should also have temps of 80 but my other fish do best in 74-76. If he wasn't such a grump, he could be nice and warm in HIS aquarium.

Severus
01-16-2007, 03:04 PM
It is weird that you say that because the bettas at my WalMart are kept in the exact same conditions. With just enough water for them to be submerged. It is a shame!

f1oored
01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I think bettas are getting the shaft pretty much everywhere, walmart or at the lfs. I have yet to find a place where I said "wow, look at how nice the betta tanks are!"

bettaboy691
01-16-2007, 04:41 PM
some of the big chain stores near my area in england sell bettas in the bags, instead if having cups like you describe, they put 5 or 6 bettas in clear bags floating them in the tanks next to each other. even tho the have more swimming space then cups, they are seeing each other all the time and are constantly flearing, plus whenever ive been in their is always some sort of gunk at the botton of the bag like poop or old food.atleast they get the heat they need,but never the less they are some good colors but still i never buy from there, i always go to my local fish shop and chose a nice one from their stock which they keep in 2 gallon devided tanks with plants at the devider.they have a really long tank devided app. 10 times.its great to walk past it and look at all the wonderful bettas.but saying that the aquatic shop is a really good one who keep all their fish in good,clean tanks with the proper need sort of speak

Betta_noob
01-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Walmart is notorious for having appalling conditions.
I mean yeah sure we see bad conditions else where but they're better than some other.
Walmart...never.

KneeKickLou
01-16-2007, 06:57 PM
The LFS in my area is very nice to the Bettas they sell. All of the Bettas they have are in tanks with the other fish. They have plenty of room to swin and all the filtration and heat they need. Of course there is only one Betta per tank and they dont have that large of a selection but they sure do know how to treat the fish right.

minabird
01-16-2007, 09:10 PM
I was at Walmart last nite looking for a stand for a 10gal tank and stopped by to check out their bettas and tanks. The betta tupperware containers were in bad shape. Some had dirty water and most barely had enought water to cover the fish. I also saw one dead betta; looked like he had been in that condition for a while.

Wish stores, not just Walmart, would get their act together and hire competent people just to take care of their fish instead of rotating people thru the fish dept.!!

jeffs99dime
01-16-2007, 10:06 PM
if you can avoind purchasing any type of living things from corporate sellers, do so. that's how i feel anyway

Wallyfish
01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
I agree about the quality of fish and living conditions generally being poor at walmart. Its hard to get help there too sometimes because none of the associates in any department want to go out of thier way to do anything for another department, especially to get fish which very few of the walmart employees know anything about.

DemonShark
01-16-2007, 10:26 PM
They are a big mutli million dollar company they dont care about those fish. Why you know what I read on the wal-mart wallk on bettas??? I was disgusted it said quote You know why bettas are in those tiny cups? Its becuase in the wild when lakes dry up only a puddle is left thats even tinier than the cup! Infact the bettas are thriving and they dont require a heater do to them being found in cold waters in Asian countries.. and it goes on and on about how good wal mart is to the bettas... They only thing they got right was that the bettas are from asia.......

Drumachine09
01-17-2007, 01:33 AM
I see how the bettas annoy you, But what really gets under my skin, is when walmartlow balls the max size of the fish. They said oscars only get between 7-8 inches. They didnt change it untill i talked to one of the higher-ups about it. But i dont think large supermarket like stores should be able to sell anything living either. Lets face it, there are a LOT of less than intelligent people out there. and they might buy fish because "ooooooohhhhhh they're pretty!!!! well take 6!" It disgusts me. Crusade against the walmart fish section!!!!!!!!

kufan
01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
I think bettas are getting the shaft pretty much everywhere, walmart or at the lfs. I have yet to find a place where I said "wow, look at how nice the betta tanks are!"
The LFS does a nice job around here. They put them in glass mason jars and fill them 3/4 of the way full. I know its not a tank, but its better than some of the aforementioned. They also have a few that are in regular tanks with other fish.

CinRell
01-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Our petco keeps them the same.. little cups BARELY filled. You can't see their fins... in fact I was there last week and one was stuck behind a sign. I rearranged all of them so he could see more than .. well.. dark nothingness.

Incredulous_Ed
01-17-2007, 09:16 PM
At a 99 cents store, they had a batta in a very small bowl with very low water, and, get this, it was in soapy water! Can you believe that?!! I asked the lady about it and she said "it's gonna die anyway"

Severus
01-17-2007, 09:37 PM
At a 99 cents store, they had a batta in a very small bowl with very low water, and, get this, it was in soapy water! Can you believe that?!! I asked the lady about it and she said "it's gonna die anyway"

That kind of attitude disgusts me. That is horrible.

At the PetSmarts near me they keep the female bettas in a big tank and it is very nicely decorated, the males are all in tupperware-like containers, but are rather large and are filled with 5 inches of water. I cant complain about the treatment there, but i have seen the Bettas at my walmart and it is horrendous!

jeffs99dime
01-17-2007, 09:53 PM

someone should submerge her in soapy water and see how much she likes it!

Wallyfish
01-18-2007, 02:20 AM
I see how the bettas annoy you, But what really gets under my skin, is when walmartlow balls the max size of the fish. They said oscars only get between 7-8 inches. They didnt change it untill i talked to one of the higher-ups about it. But i dont think large supermarket like stores should be able to sell anything living either. Lets face it, there are a LOT of less than intelligent people out there. and they might buy fish because "ooooooohhhhhh they're pretty!!!! well take 6!" It disgusts me. Crusade against the walmart fish section!!!!!!!!

To be honest with you, most people who decide to get fish don't educate themselves at all about it. I would never rely on someone working in a retail store to know much about the products that they sell, especially wal-mart, but I also think that it is wrong for people to expect them to be experts on fish or any product for that matter. They certainly aren't getting paid enough to be experts. Just the other day at wal-mart I was shopping in the pet department, and a guy who was also shopping there asked me "Excuse me sir, do you know anything about fish". I told him "a little". He said "I'm having problems keeping my tank clean". Turns out he had 2 huge oscars and 1 huge irredescent shark in a 55 gallon tank that he bought when they were little.

Severus
01-18-2007, 05:03 AM
To be honest with you, most people who decide to get fish don't educate themselves at all about it. I would never rely on someone working in a retail store to know much about the products that they sell, especially wal-mart, but I also think that it is wrong for people to expect them to be experts on fish or any product for that matter. They certainly aren't getting paid enough to be experts. Just the other day at wal-mart I was shopping in the pet department, and a guy who was also shopping there asked me "Excuse me sir, do you know anything about fish". I told him "a little". He said "I'm having problems keeping my tank clean". Turns out he had 2 huge oscars and 1 huge irredescent shark in a 55 gallon tank that he bought when they were little.

Very good point Wallyfish. I believe self education is the most important thing for any prospective fish owner to have. I wouldnt dream of buying a fish unless i have looked up how big it gets, water conditions, temperment, etc... from a couple of different sources. Although i agree that WalMart employees dont have to be experts on fish, they should have a general knowledge of the hobby.

Glasstapper
01-18-2007, 05:38 AM
I think the reason most people don't research anything about the care of a fish is because they just don't care that much. I remember I couldn't wait to get to a computer anytime I would see a new fish that I didn't know about. I would memorize their name and repeat it over and over so that I could remember to look it up.

There isn't enough interest and this is why people have the attitude of "it's going to die anyway". Most of them buy a 5 gallon tank for their kid and 3 goldfish and a tropical fish and set it all up in one day and throw the fish in. Then they wonder why their goldfish are killing each other and ripping up the betta. (yeah, a girl I worked with asked me why her betta was found dead a day later with no fins --- it was in a 5 gallon with 3 other goldfish---I practically ripped her a new one)

It makes me very sad and angry that so many people don't consider fish a pet and look at them more as a piece of furniture or decoration. You can't just put it somewhere and drop food in once a day and expect things to go well.

AuroraAustralis
01-18-2007, 11:08 AM
It makes me feel sick every time I see a betta in a cup or cup sized jar. I bred my daughters blue betta years ago, mostly because a guy told me it couldn't be done in my tank due to aggression (he had moved his into a kids wading pool because his male kept killing his females and still had no luck after 6mths). Well I did breed them in my 29gal tank after only a month of conditioning lol but the one thing that I noticed immediately on moving the male into the breeding tank was that he was suddenly more active, had better colour and finnage and just seemed generally alot happier. I remember reading a quote from a betta expert saying that just because bettas can survive in polluted, unheated & low oxygen water doesn't mean they are ever at their best in those conditions. After seeing that male in the breeding tank I wholeheartedly agree with this and I never kept them in unfiltered, unheated bowls or the like again. A betta kept alone in a decent sized, filtered & heated tank is a joy to behold :luxlove:

minabird
01-18-2007, 01:44 PM
I think the reason most people don't research anything about the care of a fish is because they just don't care that much. I remember I couldn't wait to get to a computer anytime I would see a new fish that I didn't know about. I would memorize their name and repeat it over and over so that I could remember to look it up.

There isn't enough interest and this is why people have the attitude of "it's going to die anyway". Most of them buy a 5 gallon tank for their kid and 3 goldfish and a tropical fish and set it all up in one day and throw the fish in. Then they wonder why their goldfish are killing each other and ripping up the betta. (yeah, a girl I worked with asked me why her betta was found dead a day later with no fins --- it was in a 5 gallon with 3 other goldfish---I practically ripped her a new one)

It makes me very sad and angry that so many people don't consider fish a pet and look at them more as a piece of furniture or decoration. You can't just put it somewhere and drop food in once a day and expect things to go well.

I agreee glasstapper. People can buy fish for only a couple of bucks from a chain store like walmart, petco, or petsmart and to them its not a big deal if they die because they can just go out and replace them. And, unfortunately, the pet chainstores promote this by offering bad advice and selling people fish at the same time they are buying an aquarium kit, or before the tank has completed cycling, or are incompatible with the owners' current tankmates, or will grow too big for the customer's current tank, or that will overstock a customer's tank, etc., etc. Because of this inexpensive replaceability of fish, "fish-havers" (A term used by someone on another website, can't remember which one, to describe people who keep replacing fish and who do not understand why they keep dying) view the fish more like light bulbs instead of pets.

CinRell
01-18-2007, 02:56 PM

There must me someone you can complain to.. I know HSUS isn't all about fish... but they ARE living creatures with a central nervous system.. should be reported.