PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning Tiger Barbs

Sharkman
10-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Would tiger barbs that have been together for months be accepting of other tiger barbs introduced to their tank. The stocking is in my signature. I would only be adding 1 or 2 more, but of equal or bigger size. Also, would green tiger barbs or albino tiger barbs school with tiger barbs? For example, if I got 2 green tiger barbs and added them to my already 7 tiger barbs?

Brookfish
11-24-2008, 02:32 AM
Adding 2-3 green tiger barbs to your regular shoal will be fine
they will just re-arrange the pecking order and shoal togather.
I imagine albinos would be fine as well but I have never kept them
so I can't be 100% sure.
If adding fish to an established shoal I always add 2 or more, it
cuts down on aggression and eliminates the chance of an individual
fish being picked on.

ctjlm1088
02-23-2009, 03:37 PM
I have 4 tiger barbs and recently got 2 albino tiger barbs. They've been schooling fine together, its funny to watch them go back and forth. One tiger barbs king of the tank, but sometimes the big albino will go up against him. Not only does different tiger barbs make it fun to watch, but it adds color too. I recommend getting different tiger barbs!

invadertoast
02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
I have five striped and six green tigers and they do all school together. I stocked my tank a few at a time (2 or 3) and ended up with several different sizes. There was very little nipping at first but everything seems fine now and I don't have any issues with the smaller fish getting bullied/starved. Green tigers are stunning, I say get a few of those thumbs2:

jb300m01
02-24-2009, 12:19 AM
I agree with everyone!

I started with 5 tiger barbs (they cycled the tank). I had those for about 6 months when I added 2 albinos. Like the others who posted, they rearranged their hierarchy and they all lived happily. About 4 months after that I added 2 more tigers. Everyone was fine (except for the one that died). I just recently added to small green barbs and they know where they stand in the group. They are about half the size as the 5 original tigers but they can hold their own.

Sharkman
02-24-2009, 12:24 AM
old thread I made lol. Interesting findings though. I never thought the greens and albinos would mix. Thanks for sharing.