PDA

View Full Version : Do NOT feed Cherry Shrimp Wardleys!!!

Gemini
10-14-2008, 04:41 AM
Well here you go fellow/future shrimp keepers. A word from my experience... Do not feed your precious shrimp Wardleys Shrimp Pellets.
Why? Well not only are they a poor brand, but the stupid pellets have copper sulfate in them!!!!! They cost me two shrimp before I worked it out. Whatever you do, DO NOT feed these to your shrimp. Hikari Algae Wafers and Sinking Wafers are a MUCH better option!!!

korith
10-14-2008, 04:45 AM
I just recently got my shrimp tank going, and went with the hikari brand too. Oh watch out for copper in fertilizers too if you're keeping plants!

gm72
10-14-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm not confident that Wardley's is a good brand for any of the food that I have seen. Their ingredients list is pretty poor. Sorry to hear of the trouble but thank you for sharing so the rest of us can avoid a catastrophe.

Fishguy2727
10-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Don't feed Wardley to anything.

gm72
10-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Hikari and New Life Spectrum are well regarded as being some of the "best" foods out there.

Gemini
10-15-2008, 12:20 AM
I know Wardleys is a bad food - however, there is a difference between optimum nutrition such as Hikari and NLS, and something that will kill them! I know Wardleys is not the highest quality - in fact probably the lowest - however I didn't know it would actually be the cause of death. I have thrown the shrimp pellets out now.
Is there a difference between copper sulfate and copper proteinate? My HBH cichlid food, both pellets and flake, has copper proteinate. Is this going to cause deaths too? Is it soo bad that I should throw out $40 of food and only feed Hikari? I can't get a good range of NLS here - I can only usually see Marine food.

Fishguy2727
10-15-2008, 12:32 AM
If they carry NLS ask if they can get in other varieties. The marine formula is actually fine, it is the same as the all-purpose and others. Just use that.

Get the best you can for them. If it is NLS, great. If it has to be something else, fine.

Sounguru
10-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Now you see why I make my own food.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
10-15-2008, 03:25 AM
I fed mine Hikari pellets.

Gemini
10-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Now you see why I make my own food.....:hmm3grin2orange:
How hard is that to do? Keeping in mind that I am really not a cook.... I tried roast chicken once - didn't realise cloves were the little bits of garlic. 4 bunches later it was a garlicky chook....
Back to fish food - I tried ordering Ed's Natural Foods once online but customs got angry. So what do I need to make my own? I remember Lady Hobbs and a few others talking about it awhile back, can anyone find the link for the recipe?

Sounguru
10-15-2008, 03:55 AM
easy just throw different blanched veggies in daily...

Green beans one day
Spinich the next
Kale the next
Deskinned peas
Soft carrots
Blood worms

You get the picture no real need to make a said food really. I make most of my foods for the cichlids and veggie eaters. For snails I make jello or just throw in veggies.

Gemini
10-15-2008, 04:00 AM
Guru - I think even I can manage that! I had visions of me slaving over the stove making food for my fish while me and my partner eat baked beans ;). I will feed them blanched vegies from now on.
Is frozen brine shrimp ok for them? I have heaps in the freezer because I don't feed it to my fish anymore.

Sounguru
10-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Yep I throw a little bit in once a week for protien

Gemini
10-15-2008, 04:03 AM
Woot! Thanks Guru!!!